The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamator
Does anyone have any experience of the Dynamator alternator

I fitted one to my RN almost a year ago and it has been fine until recently when it gave up the ghost.
I returned it to the manufacturer over a month ago and they can't give me a time scale for the repair.
It's still under warranty but they won't provide a replacement claiming none are available but they are still being offered for sale on eBay.
Any ideas on the way forward.
I did retain the original dynamo and cutout and only did the upgrade because the cutout was playing up and the lead time on the repair was going to be a protracted affair.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Hi Barry

I use this diode in place of the cut out.  Easy to fit and not expensive.  If your dynamo works it’s a great bit of kit.

https://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/smart-diode-cut-out

Cheers

Howard
Thanks Howard
I'll give it a whirl 
Regards
Barry T
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Barry,
      I seem to have had the same trouble as you, having fitted one recently the regulator failed within a few miles. It was returned early October and then all went quiet. After a couple of e mails I was told it had been returned to the manufacturer for repair but was now stuck somewhere along with several others in customs (China?) who did not accept they were items returned for repair.
     I was given the option of waiting or a refund so took the latter. Put the old dynamo back re gigged the wiring and off we go.
Hello
Does anyone know whether the above system can be used with a 3 brush system ?
Regards.
Tim

Just to clarify my last comment.
I have the Lucas 3 brush Dynamo and was asking whether a smart diode could be used as a cutout.
However it has just occurred to me there would be no regulation of charge ??
Regards
Tim
Hi Tiger

The smart diode is specifically for three brush dynamos. It simply replaces the cutout on the system.  Dynamo “regulation” or output is controlled by the third brush.

Cheers

Howard
Thanks Howard.
However the only wiring diagrams shown on the magneto guys site is depicting 2 brush Dynamos.
Hi Tiger

I think the dynamo symbol on the diagram is just to symbolise “a dynamo” not really what type.  As it says on the web page it is for three brush dynamos and some two brush ones. I assume the two brush dynamos have separate regulation.

Cheers

Howard
Thanks again Howard.
I will investigate how to connect the field and battery terminals from the Dynamo .