The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for RH insurance about cherished salvage..?
Tongue 
Hi Emma

I'm not expecting a swift response to this.... I understand you may be using up a little annual leave (though I don't suppose you have escaped far in lockdown!)

Having read Martin's (there's no such thing as bad publicity) initial post about insurance (I understand deleted by Martin) and Tony's Boulogne racer rising from the ashes of a 95 year old's roll in the grass, I wonder if we can have a clear definition of what is cherished salvage. If one of our vehicles is written off and deemed unrepairable because of say a badly twisted chassis, does that mean that we don't get to keep the wreck? I could probably go and check the wording of the policy document, but that would be a bit like admitting defeat and reading the instructions for an IEKA wardrobe! 

I had always assumed the claim would be paid out and we'd get the remains back to cannibalise for every useful part. Reading the RH response in Martin's post I'm not now so sure.

It is a situation that I hope none of us will experience,  but feel it would be useful to understand.

And as an afterthought... who gets the final say on what is repairable? If you can repair or replace a chassis during restoration (in accordance with DVLA rules), can you not do the same after an accident?
You cant keep cat A or B salvage.
Cat A is to be crushed with no salvagable parts, Cat B is break only but you have to be a licence salvage yard to deal with these.

Also bear in mind that if you want to keep the registration number the car has to have a current MOT 
in order for a transfer or retention to take place. If you are partial to your number, or it has value get an MOT done each year
So I guess it all comes down to who is assessing the category of the vehicle post crunch... it would be hard to argue that an Austin 7 can't be repaired, given enough time and money...
Hi Everyone, I am David Mawby, I am the new association insurance liaison officer, I have been speaking with Emma this week regarding a few questions. I believe that Emma is actually on leave this coming week, so she may not respond quickly.

We are looking to run a few questions and answers in coming magazine issues surrounding terms within the RH policies.

If you do have any problems or questions in the meantime, please contact myself or Emma.

My details are in the next issue of the magazine

Regards

David
See this thread, post 11 onward https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...ht=Salvage
That makes it all very clear... I'm not sure how I missed that... clearly not clever with my search terms.
(21-11-2020, 06:47 PM)Austinsareus Wrote: Hi Everyone, I am David Mawby, I am the new association  insurance liaison officer, I have been speaking with Emma this week regarding a few questions. I believe that Emma is actually on leave this coming week, so she may not respond quickly.

We are looking to run a few questions and answers in coming magazine issues surrounding terms within the RH policies.

If you do have any problems or questions in the meantime,  please contact myself or Emma.

My details are in the next issue of the magazine

Regards

David

What magazine are you referring to please David?
Also... for the record... I have no idea why my phone has elected to insert an emoji with its tongue sticking out on this. May be I just have chubby fingers?
Hi my details are being put in the next addition of the Association magazine.

Regards

David