The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox Numbers
Hi Everyone,

I have a general question regarding gearbox numbers. I was just wondering if anyone knows/has ever deciphered the numbering on the back of the gearboxes near the filler plug?

The reason I ask is because I have two boxes stamped as follows and I'd just be interested to know:

223 - stamped near filler plug and remote cover (I believe this to be an early 4 speed crash box)

252 - stamped near the filler plug (I'm not sure on this one because I haven't stripped it yet, but I believe it to be a 4 speed syncro, I think its probably likely to be syncro on 2nd, 3rd and 4th)

I also bought a remote cover for '252' as it didn't come with one. Interestingly, that is stamped 'SYN 249'. If my understanding is correct that would date it to 'post' crash box but pre July 1934.

Thanks

Matthew
While at it....! My Ag has a 4 speed box with  "S530" on it. as I have Nippy parts elsewhere on the car is it a Nippy box?
Hi David,

Broadly speaking, if it is a 'capitalised' S close by the 530 markings (I'm assuming it is near the filler plug). Then it should be a 'sports box'. Having said that my understanding is that the ratios and syncros are different between a Type 65 and Nippy - definitely the syncro's but I'm not 100% about the ratios.

Thanks

Matthew
No idea of the ratios....I might try speeds  against noise on a GPS. ....It doesn't like to stay in bottom though!