The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox whining
Wink 
I've been over a friend's today getting a ruby running for him he bought of a local man after it spent about 30 years off the road, I got it running for him around a week or so ago and today was its first outing since the late 80s and the gearbox is LOUD, selects gears wonderfully, no rumbling or vibration at all but whines like a mother-in-law, it happens in all gears except top.

What does it sound like to you seven experts?

I pressume the box will have to come out... A pain when it's not my car and I'm only being paid beer and sandwiches haha.
Sounds like layshaft bearing to me
But I have only done 60s 70s gearboxes
But would think about the same!
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I had suspected layshaft bearings however I presumed it would also make the noise in neutral?
The fact that the noise is present in the intermediate gears indeed points at the layshaft as this only transmits power when not in top gear. The problem may be layshaft bearings, allowing the gears to run incorrectly meshed or maybe the box has been assembled with "odd" constant mesh gears at some time in the past?

First thing to check however is that the box has the requisite amount of correct (SAE 30 or 20W50) oil.
Well I did check the oil in the box, it was acceptable for a small drive (1/4 mile) and I have just picked up a rag I wiped my hand on after sticking my finger in the box to check the oil and caught a whiff of unmistakeably gear oil... I wonder if someone has put gl5 in the box and buggered the bronze bearings.. I
Hi 12j
If it can be shown that EP oii has damaged the plain bearings it will be the first positive evidence revealed here as far as I can determine. Most oil companies claim the oil will not harm bronze, or not at the temps likely in a Seven, although they do not make clear if this includes wearing surfaces. From my limited experience I have seen no wear failure of bevel geras. But if the comstant meshed front gear is totally failed the oil would appear like silver paint.
During the 1950s thru 70s EP oil found its way into very many gearboxes without apparent harm.