The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative uses for an Austin 7 engine
Following on from the let's-ban-petrol-cars-and-lose-the-next-election thread, I was having a joke with Mike Costigan about drilling down for coal. Guess what I found being used as the winding gear engine: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...house.html

Attached Files
.jpg   A7 engine winding wheel.jpg (Size: 181.14 KB / Downloads: 333)
I've posted this before, (a long time ago).

Arthur Waite's sprinkler system.

https://austinharris.co.uk/photo/arthur-...m-1938/222

[Image: 1938-561-7A.jpg]
As soon as I saw the photograph, Tony, I thought 'that looks familiar'. I was brought up nearby and remember this private mine from when I was a young boy. I had a pal who lived in one of the next pair of semis in the photo. Pashley's were the local coal merchants. Before we moved out to North Yorkshire 35 years ago, we lived about 500 yards from the site although by then, of course, it was beneath the embankment to the M1.

The village name, Durkar, comes from the previous 'Dirtcar' and the Viking 'Drit Kjarr' meaning Dirt Marsh, a reference to the shallow coal seams. A friend and mining engineer was still taking coal (illegally as it actually belongs to the Crown) from the rear garden of the house he built in the early 1980's around 1/2 mile away until he sold up in about 2000

Steve
This is an Austin Seven powered winch I bought years ago used to shuttle train cars at a siding. I think it was some sort of drill rig previous to this. I removed the engine and transmission and scrapped the rest.  Gord

.jpg   wholepackage.jpg (Size: 135.34 KB / Downloads: 204)

.jpg   leftside.jpg (Size: 116.68 KB / Downloads: 197)

.jpg   mag.jpg (Size: 105.84 KB / Downloads: 197)