The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol ban now 2030
Very nicely put Tony and also reassuring. I also have been thinking about this recently and wondering about the future of our type of car. I cannot imagine that the "powers that be" who probably own some exotica themselves, would ever allow a total petrol ban. More of a worry I think will be when petrol becomes less in demand and harder to find locally.
I read somewhere I could you my drive my 7 for about 10 years on the same amount of fuel one plane uses to go to the USA and back .
It's a shame the powers at be don't target them instead of us soft targets !
I think the aviation industry is just about finished. By the time CV has done with us there won't be much of it left.
Well said Tony.Part of all this energy required will be from New Nuclear power stations,Very green the waste,will only to be buried for a hundred thousand years or so.
Yes China,Russia etc will be laughing their socks off at us.
Climate change has been going on ever since the earth was formed but what a good way of creating a raft of taxes and restriction to freedom of choice and movement.
(18-11-2020, 02:36 PM)morrisminor Wrote: I read somewhere I could you my drive my 7 for about 10 years on the same amount of fuel one plane uses to go to the USA and back .
It's a shame the powers at be don't target them instead of us soft targets !

I don't know how many miles you're doing but the consumption of a 767 is about 1,200 gallons an hour.
So in a single 16 hour trip to NY that's about 20,000 gallons - roughly 750,000 miles at 40mpg in a Chummy.
Aside from the epic annual mileage that represents it shows how insignificant much automotive fuel consumption is compared to aviation.
If we get one benefit from Covid it will hopefully be a long term reduction in air travel. I do most of my work in the US and is now largely via Zoom. 

C
(18-11-2020, 02:07 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(18-11-2020, 12:47 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: People did not vote for the Green Party, they voted for a Conservative government.

Voters may have put the Conservatives in power in 2019. But according to t'interweb, the last time a true majority of the UK electorate voted for the winning party in a general election was 1931 -possibly an an appropriate factoid to appear on a forum dedicated to pre war cars.
True - and our electoral is based on constituencies the boundaries of which need to be regularly updated to keep things in balance. If the changes necessary to allow for population growth and movement had been put in place ten years ago (the Liberal Democrats then in coalition blocked them), at the last election the Conservatives would have won an additional 24 seats.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexi...-m0cqg762g
But it's a very complex issue: https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/bounda...ies-381109
Charles,  not quite that many ! But it makes the point that motorists are a easy target
What about another quite large elephant in the room which is building energy efficiency? Next to us they are in the process of building 19 "executive dwellings" of from 2 bedroom to 5 bedroom size. They have all the latest swanky kitchens and bathroom equipment but the insulation and airtightness  are based on unrevised energy standards for domestic buildings dating back to 2007. And of course they have gas boilers. Could it be that the developers have  very powerful lobbying to keep such standards low so that they can trouser the extra profits?
I thought it was no new cars or what ever
But you.can still use any made before!
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Apparently jet Aircraft are most efficient when flying at their cruising altitude, so to solve the problems of excessive polution and noise just ban take-offs and landings. You'll solve the problems of congestion at airports and no need for a 27th runway at Heathrow. That should keep the greens happy. I don't know why they haven't thought of it before.

Alfred E. Newman