The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boulogne car body help needed
I do not currently have access to my files, but there were contemporary articles in the motoring press at least one has descriptions and cutaway artists impressions of Waites car, which together with the various photographs will give a pretty good idea of the construction.
Black Art Enthusiast
From data in Beatrice's book, the dry weight or each car was 672 lb. Given that one can calculate the weight of chassis, running gear, radiator etc and a guestimate on the body weight ( ash lattice covered in cotton duck ) it could be determined whether the floor was wood or metal.
Ian - when you have access to your files again, it would be really helpful if you might be able to give a list of the articles and the publications they appeared in. It is one of the thrusts of acquisition I am following at the moment, contemporary articles that I should add to the Archive...

many thanks..

Hugh
hi ian.

obviously id be very interested in that.

a question about the last picture. car number 3.

why did they remove the dampers ?

thanks tony
Tony, I don't think they removed the dampers for the Monza race, they hadn't yet fitted them! You'll notice they weren't fitted in the photo of the car's first outing to Brooklands in Austin's photo.
Thanks Mike,

Its putting things in order of use.

Henry's picture shows there are rear damper before boulogne, and they are there but blurred in the last picture.

It seems a strange decision from austin to damper the rear from the beginning, and not the front.

Obviously it was quickly felt they were needed on the front as well for boulogne?

Thanks tony.
Here's a sneak preview of one of the photos from the Lou King's family album that is shortly to be published on the Archive web site. It shows Lou and Len Brockas in 'Opposum' and is a photo taken at the same time as the Austin group photo posted earlier in this thread. It gives a better image of the details of the front of the car...

Thank you,

That's a lovely clear picture.

It picks out the front damper well.

It looks like they have used Hartford arms. and I guess in stead of a thread on the end of the arm. They have machined it as a ball, so they can use two cut down draglinks.

Also you can see the screws in the austin script badges on the bonet sides, I thought they were painted on.

Wonderful.

Tony.
(18-11-2020, 12:07 PM)Archivist Wrote: Here's a sneak preview of one of the photos from the Lou King's family album that is shortly to be published on the Archive web site. It shows Lou and Len Brockas in 'Opposum' and is a photo taken at the same time as the Austin group photo posted earlier in this thread. It gives a better image of the details of the front of the car...
Good luck with operating that horn push on the move!!
Hello,

I was delighted to discover that one with a three wheeler Sandford behind
[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=12095]
older but similar to mine:

[Image: dsc_0010.jpg]

here with my late father circa 1935.
I recently restored that cyclecar:

[Image: img_0511.jpg]