The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 Nippy Back Axle
I have just split my Nippy’s back axle. I discovered I had a 43 tooth crown wheel and 8 tooth pinion giving a ratio of 5.375/1. I understand that this is possibly an after market crown wheel and pinion manufactured by the Regent Axle Company Ltd. The Crown wheel is etched ‘R/EWP/29A.  652/36’.
Out of interest, can anyone translate the crown wheel markings or have had any experience with this set up?
The Nippy is my current rebuild project. Chassis no. 205192, body 475 and registration EPG 76. Does anyone know of this car as I am trying build up a picture of its history.
Thanks for help and all the best,
Dougald
What you have got is a Regent  "R/CWP.129A, Ratio 43 x 8, replacing Manfrs. Ratio 42 x 8, Austin Seven 1932/35". I suspect the 652/36 may be the match number for the pair, usually etched by hand on both the face or back of the crown wheel and on the head or shaft of the pinion.
Hi,
If you can afford it I recomend fitting a brand new crown wheel pinion complete with halfshafts and hubs.
It should be a fit and forget option as the new crownwheel and pinions are a better tooth design.
I have built up a complete new axle like this for my 65. The original axle is now safe in preservation.
I drive my car hard though as it gets used for speed hill climbs.

https://www.a7c.co.uk/cwp.php
Quite a nice ratio for a Nippy I should think. I don't think I'd be in a hurry to replace it unless it is in poor condition.
Thanks for the replies. Both crown wheel and pinion are in good condition and run very smoothly, I have fitted new half shafts and lapped them on to a good pair pf hubs. Hopefully all will be well.
I have the same ratio fitted to my Chummy, with a mildly tuned engine. It provides very satisfactory performance as long as you can bear the noise of the engine at 60 on a dual carriageway!
Revolutions: for road use, I'm in the monster-torque-one-bang-per-telegraph-pole club. Others prefer 15,000 r.p.m. at every opportunity. Trouble is, an Austin Seven gives neither....but lots of other fun, of course.