The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head gasket
Totally agree Steve.
Taking Steve Jones's advice having previous been a little light grease only person.

For the last few years following Steve's advice I use Copper Silicone and "touch wood" not suffered a failure (fatal to say) !

I have fitted at least 20 heads in that time.

So since the gaskets now have harder material in the middle I have used Copper Silicone and plan to carry on doing so.

Thank you for the recommendation Steve.
I am a grease only guy when it comes to head gaskets so in the words of Steve’s Jones whatever way you prefer let us get on with it.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(26-01-2021, 02:25 PM)Nick Turley Wrote: Taking Steve Jones's advice having previous been a little light grease only person.

For the last few years following Steve's advice I use Copper Silicone and "touch wood" not suffered a failure (fatal to say) !

I have fitted at least 20 heads in that time.

So since the gaskets now have harder material in the middle I have used Copper Silicone and plan to carry on doing so.

Thank you for the recommendation Steve.

Its also worth pointing out, as we often over assume the level of competence of others. You don't smear it on with your finger and let it ooze out as the joint is tightened.

You put it on very thinly indeed, I use a little 1/4 wide flat artists brush (bought very cheaply in a pack in the art section in Wilkos) to apply.

I've been watching a lot of Youtube of late with my workshop being some distance from home and with lockdown my conscience doesn't allow me to make specific visits (I visit during my journeys to and from work). Particularly Deboss Garage. He uses some spray on gasket goo (with a gasket) in certain applications.

I think this conveys the thickness of any jointing goo you might choose to use in any automotive application
(28-01-2021, 11:04 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: You put it on very thinly indeed, I use a little 1/4 wide flat artists brush (bought very cheaply in a pack in the art section in Wilkos) to apply.

In my experience that is spot on advice Hedd.
After having a look around another similar product that may have the benefits the Locktite 'copper goo' is Permatex Copper Spray-a-gasket "https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-copper-spray-a-gasket-hi-temp-sealant/". It is more expensive but doesn't have the possible disadvantage of over application.

David