The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do these wheels need refurbishment
    Finally got around to replacing two tyres, no problems in removal both came off relatively easily.
However the inner rim shows signs of rust that has at some time been painted over, an area on one wheel has pitted through.
Prior to removal pressures held well but I'm unsure to what is acceptable?
If I need to refurbishment can anyone recommend a supplier.
Thanks
The rim is perforated - based on what I can see here I would rebuild the wheel with a new rim as you can no longer be sure of its strength. Richards Bros. at Cardiff.
If that is the worst part they should be safe to use on a gently driven car.
Better on a light car like a Chummy, not so good on the lardy Rubys.
I would be tempted to give the inner rim a tap all around with a cross pein hammer to check its integrity.
If you can afford it then new rims and spokes would be a good idea.
Richards Bros Cardiff / Nick Mouat and a few others can rebuild wheels.
If you are new to Austins make sure you really like the car before investing huge amounts of money in it.
I ran wheels in that condition and worse for a few years, rusty spokes are more of a safety problem.
Not really difficult to find replacements a little better for 30 or 40 quid each though?
Paul
I would endorse Chris's suggestion. The rim shown is scrap in my opinion.
Whilst there are many people doing wheels who are good, Richard Bros at Cardiff are fair on price and great on quality.
Unless you are fighting budget I would have them done correctly - be safe.
It is like tyres, many people because of little use are driving around on old tyres that have plenty of tread but really need discarding.
Old tyres go hard and start to crack. I reckon that at twelve years old they ought to be changed.
Why take a chance ?
I understand Dickie65's viewpoint and if - as some cars are - it is only ever wheeled on and off a trailer into a rally field then what the heck.

My worry would be what might happen out on the road in, say, an emergency manoeuvre or if you struck an almighty pothole. In modern traffic you don't get much margin for error.
I doubt if rims would collapse; safer than modern alloy wheels which shatter. Loose spokes and rickety wheels seem more likely danger. In the past things were reused which today would be scrapped. Accident damaged rims with sudden kinks, changes in width etc cannot be fixed by tweaking spoke tensions and are of limited value however rust free.. If heavily rusted in only one place could weld. The main problem is usually freeing spoke nipples; need donor spares. ( gentle hammering against an anvil on the diameter often frees) I am not sure if new spokes are double gauge and therfore suitable to be mixed, or whether new nipples suit original spokes with cycle form threads..Old spokes are often stretched which limits usefulness. The thread is not common but something for tidying later spokes can be made up starting with UNF 10:32
As with all else, there can be considerable satisfaction in diy.
HI,
What would happen with your insurance  if you had an accident using rims or any other Mechanical part that is not fit for purpose 
inspectors would have a field day 
Would you drive with rims in that condition on your modern
something to think about

Colin 
NZ
Thanks for the replies, on consideration I've decided to recondition all wheels bearing in mind that I'm encouraging my soon to be 14yr old to take part in  autosolo next year.
There's already a little bit of understandable Motherly hesitation in my pre war exploits, so I'm leaning towards safety and family harmony!
The wheels will be repainted, should they be black or silver?
Hi Paul

Correct me if I’m wrong but your car is the rather nice special (Cambridge?)

If so, you can paint the wheels any colour you like.  Well even if it was an original Austin model you can do what you like.  Having said that I haven’t seen any original Austin Saloons with anything other than black.  I know Swallows and other coach builds had coloured wheels.

Cheers

Howard

PS.Re- spiking wheels is not too difficult a job and there are several web sites with “how to’s”