The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 bearing connecting rods
I need some guidance please.  I have dismantled our 3B engine to renew main bearings. (Crank crack tested, all OK).  Those familiar with this engine will know that each con rod is offset on the big end bearing, presumably to accommodate amendments to the crankshaft to make space for the centre bearing while using the original bore spacing.  On our engine the rods do not line up with the centre line of the cylinder bore and I'm wondering if the rods have been fitted the wrong way round.  Viewed from below, currently for cylinders 1 & 4 the big end cap bolts are furthest from the centre bearing. For cylinders 2 & 3 the cap bolts are closest to the centre bearing.  Is this right?  Any help gratefully received...
Cheers from Chris and Hilary
The thinner side of the big end goes towards the front, centre and rear main bearings respectively.
Apologies to the owner for use of this photo - don't recall where it came from.
Yes, the rods were cropped to make space for the C/M.

Thanks for the quick response, amazing. The photo from Chris KC is what we have. Is that what you described Ruairidh?... Thanks again both..
It is - a picture saves a thousand words, thanks Chris.
Ladybird you don't say by how much your rods are off bore centre line - but if it makes you feel better I run a 3-bearing with Reliant crankshaft and that results in significantly more offset without any issues - not for sporting road use at any rate.
Chris, Could these mean Ladybird also has a reliant crank fitted.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
My crank looks exactly like the one in the picture above so assume it to be Austin. I can’t measure the offset easily now but noticed the issue during dismantling. Viewed from below I could see that the (clamp on type) little end was showing about 10mm of gudgeon pin on one side and virtually none on the other.  As the pin is relieved centrally for the clamping bolt I feared that would mean that the pin was scoring the bore but this wan’t the case, the pin seems short enough to accommodate the offset. Still looks odd though...
Good thought John.
The Reliant crank is usually fitted together with (slightly modified) Reliant rods.
It has been done with A7 rods though, notably the 10,000 mile record car (I think for the record attempt it ran with custom made rods from Paul Bonewell but it later reverted to modified A7 rods i.e. with some added offset).
The presence of an Austin part number (as above) I guess is the quickest way for the unfamiliar to confirm.
It seems highly desirable that the pistons are centred. Otherwise the rods are subject to a bending action not intended for. However many have been wrong due confusion about front bearings, and alsp due poor machining of remetalled rods.
Incidentally much is made of the right and wrong way around for early conrods but as these later have gudgeon bolts facing both ways presumably it does not really matter.