The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My grandads Austin 7 Cambridge - where is it?
Ian, if you list that barn find Ulster you are desperate to get rid of as soon as possible, you can always see what they are like :-)
Hi Adrian
Remetalling was done around 1978! The first time they had done it and it took about 4 attempts due to blow holes. Curiously, one of the  partners, Ian, still runs the workshop and I renewed acquaintance with him 2 years back when he resleeved a barrel and rebuilt the crankshaft on a 1929 Dunelt for me. Try him, TIK Engineering, Fareham. You can mention my name if you like?

(19-06-2022, 08:42 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: Hello Geoff12bikes
Interested in TIK engineering. How long ago did they re-metal your rods. Were they reasonable price.
Many thanks.
Adrian.

(20-06-2022, 09:28 AM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 07:49 PM)Greig Smith Wrote: I rotated the picture for you

Aye
Greig

Hi Geoff, 

That’s a very nice Cambridge you have there and it’s good to hear you are going to do a ‘’light restoration’’
I had one in the sixties ( my first car) and had a lot of fun with it.
I’m now going to stick my neck out a bit and suggest you find ( difficult) or get fabricated (expensive) some Cambridge Engineering pattern wings, beautifully swept and elegant against this body.
The car looks super as it is so please don’t be offended!!

Charles

Hi Charles,
No offence taken. I’ll do some research to see what you refer to! I always thought the guards were original? She is a well built car, I’ve never let her go because she brings back great memories of Austineering and friends I made at club nights at the Farmers Home, Durley all those years ago. Gosh there’s we’re SO MANY A7s on the road in the 70s. Where are they all now?
Regards
Geoff
Geoff, here's a picture of one with the Cambridge Engineering wings. Quite a few Cambridge Specials were fitted with them, but they did cost extra, so if the original builder was impecunious (or a cheapskate!) then simple cycle wings would have sufficed. In all probability your car never had them.

.jpg   cambridge special.JPG (Size: 98.47 KB / Downloads: 286)
(20-06-2022, 07:58 PM)Geoff12bikes Wrote: Hi Adrian
Remetalling was done around 1978! The first time they had done it and it took about 4 attempts due to blow holes. Curiously, one of the  partners, Ian, still runs the workshop and I renewed acquaintance with him 2 years back when he resleeved a barrel and rebuilt the crankshaft on a 1929 Dunelt for me. Try him, TIK Engineering, Fareham. You can mention my name if you like?

(19-06-2022, 08:42 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: Hello Geoff12bikes
Interested in TIK engineering. How long ago did they re-metal your rods. Were they reasonable price.
Many thanks.
Adrian.

(20-06-2022, 09:28 AM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 07:49 PM)Greig Smith Wrote: I rotated the picture for you

Aye
Greig

Hi Geoff, 

That’s a very nice Cambridge you have there and it’s good to hear you are going to do a ‘’light restoration’’
I had one in the sixties ( my first car) and had a lot of fun with it.
I’m now going to stick my neck out a bit and suggest you find ( difficult) or get fabricated (expensive) some Cambridge Engineering pattern wings, beautifully swept and elegant against this body.
The car looks super as it is so please don’t be offended!!

Charles

Hi Charles,
No offence taken. I’ll do some research to see what you refer to! I always thought the guards were original? She is a well built car, I’ve never let her go because she brings back great memories of Austineering and friends I made at club nights at the Farmers Home, Durley all those years ago. Gosh there’s we’re SO MANY A7s on the road in the 70s. Where are they all now?
Regards
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for your response — re Cambridge Engineering wings, I had a set once that were made beautifully, by Roach Engineering, wired edges etc. they were made to pattern taken from some beaten up originals.
If you did want to investigate this you might find this a good starting point. 
The image posted by Mike shows them well.
But quite honestly your car as is looks really great and nicely set up with the present cycle type wings and, as Mike says, the Cambridge ones were always an optional extra.
Re the 60s and 70s, a reasonable tuned special could still hold its own against a lot of overweight underpowered saloons — nowadays it’s another story, although I’m still getting a lot of fun with my Paxton special and I’m not holding up the traffic either!

Charles
The mudguards fitted to Grandad’s Cambridge Special look very much to me like 50’s BSA motor cycle items to me...I’m sure my old Golden Flash mudguards were the same...I think they look great!
Hi, anyone know why the threads go out of sequence? Anyway, Mike thanks for the photo of the wings. And Charles, I guess you mean Keith Roach in the New Forest? Not seen him since the 70s. The suggestion that the guards are BSA Gold Flash  I am less sure of, but I know a man nearby who is a BSA expert so I’m going to ask him! Cheers, Geoff.