The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dimensions SWB Ulster
As I mentioned on another thread, I'm shipping my car to Seattle from the UK. I'm outfitting my trailer without the car so need a couple of dimensions. It is a SWB Ulster with a dropped front axle which was not stretched. I need the measurement from the center of front tyre to center of front tyre. I also need the same measurement at the rear(center of tyre to center of tyre). I had initial measurements of 39 inches for front and rear, but need to confirm. It would seem that with the non-stretched axle, the front dimension should be less than the measurement at the rear.

Erich
Erich,

Each car varies slightly - Steve will measure it, to the nearest thou., if necessary
(02-12-2017, 07:07 PM)Erich Wrote: As I mentioned on another thread, I'm shipping my car to Seattle from the UK. I'm outfitting my trailer without the car so need a couple of dimensions. It is a SWB Ulster with a dropped front axle which was not stretched. I need the measurement from the center of front tyre to center of front tyre. I also need the same measurement at the rear(center of tyre to center of tyre). I had initial measurements of 39 inches for front and rear, but need to confirm. It would seem that with the non-stretched axle, the front dimension should be less than the measurement at the rear.

Erich
Hi Eric,
I have an axle done without stretch.  It has four sharper bends and is straighter across the middle. It has shortened the axle length by one and a quarter inches. 
I would not count on yours being exactly the same but this may help.
Think I have managed to insert a photo.
Bruce
(02-12-2017, 07:29 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Erich,

Each car varies slightly - Steve will measure it, to the nearest thou., if necessary

Oh Ruairidh, you're a tease. I'm back tonight from a long day out that involved 300 miles driving so, when I read this, I thought 'I'll look tomorrow'! But, you know how it is and in the end I've been out into the garage with my tape measure. Backs are easy. Ulster is 40.5" centre tyre to centre tyre. Chummy and SWB Saloon both are exactly the same. However, the Ulster and Chummy rear axles are ones that I've narrowed so, given that they match the Saloon that is correct and original, that, perhaps, indicates that I got my narrowing right Smile . Front is rather more difficult because of the positive camber. Centre tyre to centre tyre at the horizontal centre line across the front is, again, 40.5" on all three cars. The Ulster is the only one with a dropped axle so that seems to indicate it's been stretched - that or it's an original dropped axle and, therefore, worth more than I thought it was Wink . This changes by about minus 0.75" on all three at the bottom - it's difficult to measure accurately as it's a bit too dark to see properly. Can't measure the top (but would hope it's plus 0.75" Sad ) as that would involve taking all three engines out and it's too late and I'm too tired to do that!

Steve
Well done Steve, above and beyond!
Wonderful Steve, and Ruairidh very well done. I had thought that Ruairidh was referring to Steve Hodgson, in whose care the car is now. But he is in Hungary. With the dropped front axle (not stretched), he gave a dimension of 39 inches, centre to centre. But also gave that same dimension for the rear. i had thought that was curious as I have not heard of rear axles being shortened. Steve(Hodgson) can confirm the rear but I'm outfitting the trailer this week end and needed a more precise measurement. Thank you all.

Best,

Erich
Don't worry Erich. Steve's rear axle width will be spot on. You can't get the narrowing wrong - the half shafts guarantee that. If it's too wide the half shafts seize as the gear binds inside the diff. Too narrow and the hubs don't fit.
Don't ask how I know that. 

Charles
How do you know that, Charles?
(03-12-2017, 11:58 AM)Alan Wrote: How do you know that, Charles?

He probably knows the same way that I know, Alan Sad

Steve
ah, you've both been watching me then?