The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"New" battery can't spin starter ???
OK guys, hearing what your saying, Tony B, just needed info ref Batteries, no other bits of the car,
Seems the constant trickle charging has damaged them both ??? ones an Alpha Batteries Ultra Plus about 75amp?
The other is buried in the battery box and its too dark outside, will check in the morning.
Guess these are 1/2 MGB batteries in the real world.
i may be wrong????

im sure someone will correct me.

but alfa is about the cheapest thing you can buy on ebay.

best thing is to have it tested.

but it may be a case of the cheapest is not always the best.

not saying that paying the highest price is a garrantee of quality, (it isnt ). 

but when there are 20 on offer, the cheapest is usually the worst.

exide 80 ah are a cheaper battery, not the best out there. but if they are treated right they are fantastic quality to price ratio.

tony
Modern chargers wont start to charge on a dead flat battery but will modern batteries eventually charge with a traditonal charger as dead falt Pb Sb batteries eventually do?
The battery in my 55 year old modern failed at not great life. no single cell was different.Twice I ran it moderately low on a lamp and recharged and overcharged slow . Reset regulator from 14.2 to 14.6 and it has been good for another year so far. (Car has a crank so can take risks!)
Tony B, the Alfa was recommended by the 7w/shop up here in Norfolk, arrived filled and fully charged and did as required at the time. The other battery was a cancelled order that arrived anyway
so got it FOC , but arrived dry, filled at local factors. unbranded but think it came via ebay online battery,
Flywheel, I am no electrician But do you think you may have over charged the batteries. If new batteries they should hold a charge for quite some time. Do you think you may have given them a trickle charge when it didn’t need it thus although only a trickle overcharging the batteries.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
think that's what happened. will get them checked, but not holding out much. oh well
OK whats my options ref suppliers ???
Hi,
Having followed your plight with the batteries and request for suppliers, here is something which may help?
Some years ago, the battery on my Nippy finally expired and I ended up buying a Shield 6 volt battery. It fits well enough in the battery box under the bonnet (I guess similar to your Ruby?) and is made of hard rubber so looks "right."

Given that I do quite a bit of night driving, I went for the higher powered one to give me more running time at night. It's been in for about 5 years and has been excellent so far. Sorry I can't remember how much it was but I don't think it was silly money.

The numbers I have for it seem to be: Shield J16 501 - 17 which is 117 Amp / Hour at 20 Amps although they also do one at 80 Amp / Hours too.

Their number is 01279 652067 or contact via shieldbatteries.co.uk

I have no connection with these at all other than as a very satisfied customer so hope this helps your search?
Best wishes,
Nick
the 421/13 ,80 amp Battery seems to be exactly the same as the Shield and Lincon offerings, and the same as one of my 'failed batteries'
apart, mine has no logo on the round moulding in the case. so I guess these come from a common source? and just have suppliers logos fitted, so not keen on buying like for like, any other options out there.
Some manufacturers may sell off their "approaching shelf life " batteries at discount to clear their stocks. I have bought Exide batteries at reduced prices and found them to be variable, some have been totally reliable and others not so.. However, I can't be sure that this may not be down to operator malfunction.
If it seems to cheap to be true, then it probably is...
Don't use a trickle charger for long term storage - use a 'smart' charger that has a maintenance function. Smart chargers monitor the battery and top use as and when required, rather than the constant current that a trickle charger supplies.
Stuart Bullen