The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long is a piece of string? Race engines
I have been running an engine with a crack in the top surface of the block for years its in the middle running sideways from the centre stud,
I changed the block when it cracked a cylinder, one of the risks using 80 thou oversize pistons at 6000 Rpm

At the price that single seater is a bargain !!!
VSCC would require a change of exhaust manifold to a correct period style.
I suspect that the engine might only need a replacement block.

Talking engine prices, Austins are still cheap compared to a lot of cars. Pistons are not expensive Billet cranks are comparable to modern engine prices ( Mazda Mx 5 pistons and rods are more expensive for the same quality )
Paying an expert to build an engine is the expensive part.
Luckily for most of us the Austin engine is easy to build. ( I built my first one at 16 years old )
My current Nippy Engine build is at £ 6400 in parts so far, That is without any machining work yet.
I bought a genuine nippy engine in the above amount though, The crankcase needs some welding work doing to it before I will use it.
I also have to sort out a set of valves and springs etc and have the block bored.
The photos include copies of work done & reports from engine builders...quite a bit og head scratching went on I think & then it was put away privily , like Ophelia!
I think that price will go up!
With unlimited funds wouldn't it be fun to commision newly-cast crankcases, multi-stud blocks and heads, titanium conrods, etc. In fact, let's go the whole hog and have a replica twin-cam built - together with a couple of perfect replica, supercharged and Ulsters to keep it company. But, without millions behind you, it's still possible to have huge amounts of fun in a variety of VSCC events with an absolutly standard, or just very mildly warmed car with a few in-period modifications.
(05-11-2020, 05:57 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Bidding is at just $4,000

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1932-austin-seven/

Is that one of David Gregson's builds? Certainly the rad cowl has that look about it.
The late Dave Flake ( Quarry Engineering ) made patterns for Ulster Nippy and Grasshopper crankcases as well as other castings.
So there are castings and patterns out there somewhere.
Someone must Know !!!
I have a Nippy Pressure fed Nosepeice from him, I could not afford a crankcase at the time.

Hi Folks,
Its a Don Rawson.

.jpg   DSCN2693 - Copy.JPG (Size: 120.12 KB / Downloads: 511)
.jpg   DSCN2694.JPG (Size: 121.61 KB / Downloads: 509)
.jpg   DSCN2693 - Copy.JPG (Size: 120.12 KB / Downloads: 511)
.jpg   DSCN2693 - Copy.JPG (Size: 120.12 KB / Downloads: 511) Steve here with the Bantam Turbo ,  I have some hard learned experience with  Austin 7 engine .  PH # 520 591 6318 in Tucson AZ . .. Always available to converse on my engine experience ..
<p><br></p>
(05-11-2020, 09:38 PM)dickie65 Wrote: The late Dave Flake  ( Quarry Engineering ) made patterns for Ulster Nippy and Grasshopper crankcases as well as other castings.
Someone must Know !!!

Well here's a 10 stud Ulster that I've nearly finished

Charles
Many years ago Grant Cowie rebuilt the Duck with a new crankcase !
(06-11-2020, 12:09 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 09:38 PM)dickie65 Wrote: The late Dave Flake  ( Quarry Engineering ) made patterns for Ulster Nippy and Grasshopper crankcases as well as other castings.
Someone must Know !!!

Charles

That looks great Charles, have you been counting the hours you've spent machining the crankcase?
(06-11-2020, 11:45 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 12:09 AM)Charles P Wrote:
Someone must Know !!!

Charles

That looks great Charles, have you been counting the hours you've spent machining the crankcase?

No, I didn't keep a log but if I had it probably would have showed how ridiculous the task really is. 
An awful lot of time is spent in contemplation, working out the approach and sequence. In modest commercial terms I doubt that you'd get any change out of £7-8K for machining a one off like this. It would only make sense if you had the right CNC tools and could cast, machine and guarantee to sell at least half a dozen at £4-5K. The Austin 7 market doesn't support that sort of expenditure for a bare crankcase.

Charles