The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tourer on ebay - what is this really?
the answer to cost of parts.

alot of money, unless you are a furum contributer. then you can make it all yearself for free Wink
As David.H suggests, it looks like a late 1931 or early 1932 AG tourer; the engine dates from July 1931, but the front wings, km speedo and four-bladed fan suggest a post-October 1931 export model. Provided the chassis number and/or car number is clearly identified, registration shouldn't be a major problem.
(03-11-2020, 04:06 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: the answer to cost of parts.

alot of money, unless you are a furum contributer. then you can make it all yearself for free Wink
No, there is only one forum member with a one PhD in doing it for nothing - and we all know who it is, don't we, David W?
wonder what happened to the handbrake, and the starter motor, and the rear suspension arms... clearly someone has tried doing something to do it and it's perhaps been sold on? Same seller has a beautiful Paris-Dakar Toyota for stupid little money.
Whats not to like?, as noted its a SWB post chummy tourer. Long nose Banjo too.

My AE Chummy is probably as rough in body terms under the patches and pop rivets and its on the road and great fun.

Assuming the engine isnt totally fubared (and yes I spotted the broken foot), i've got enough spares in the shed to have it on the road before the end of lockdown assuming I had the spare 4k knocking about to buy it.

Of course, mechanically its the ideal candidate for a half decent Ulster rep.

As for the DVLA, assuming it has a chassis number I forsee no problems whatsoever. The chassis (being SWB, coupled brakes and having the long nose banjo), the body and engine are certainly all 'period' and IMO 'correct'. The DVLA wont know its been to Portugal if no one tells them. You apply for age related plate like you would for any other austin 7 thats lost its original reg no.
(03-11-2020, 02:41 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: What is the cost of missing parts?
It's not as though one would be starting with a sound basic car - so it's going to be soberingly expensive if you are parts virgin lacking a garage full of bits.
A quick glance through the parts list:
Hood frame with catches, front rest and windscreen wing nuts £1043
Set of sidescreen frames £385
Cover hood and sidescreens £1250?
Headlamps £550
Headlamp support brackets £28
Seats, covered £500 (if you can get them made)
Door-shut top castings £80
Rear lights £104
Rear number plate support bar, two number plates with rear-light brackets £80
Door-top trim £45
Rear dampers complete £100
Front damper complete £100
Trim inside doors, floor, etc £200???
Stock of BSF nuts, bolts and assorted other fastenings £200
So £5000 to replace what's not there + a host of minor items that would total an extra easy £500 (I know, I've just had to buy a selection) + engine, gearbox, back axle and chassis work + manual work, plenty of it. Or, tip it to a pro and it should work out at around £25,000 ready to roll?
Any better estimates? Corrections? updates?
Alternatively, a few thousand pounds to overhaul the mechanics, any old seats and lamps, and stick it on the road as it is (it has a hood frame, Tony, so that's a thousand off your bill!). Realistically, any total rebuild to original specification is not going to be economically viable, no matter what the model or what the starting point is - this car, or any other barn-find, could be given away and still not be economically viable.
(03-11-2020, 05:41 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Alternatively, a few thousand pounds to overhaul the mechanics, any old seats and lamps, and stick it on the road as it is (it has a hood frame, Tony, so that's a thousand off your bill!). Realistically, any total rebuild to original specification is not going to be economically viable, no matter what the model or what the starting point is - this car, or any other barn-find, could be given away and still not be economically viable.
I agree; it would only make sense, financially (if at all) to do all the work oneself. It would make a VSCC trials car, perhaps.
id look at this one as a bit marmite.

i dont like the fact that alot of the expensive bits are missing. and whats left needs alot of help.

but offers on £3,500 for a SWB.

sell the body on ebay for £1,000

leaves you £2,500 in.

use the rest for an ulster starter kit, i would have thought would be a steel for someone.

i was offered a simular rolling chassis early in the year for £4,000 and there was another in the VSCC last year for £6,500

considering people are expecting the chummy in stroud to go for more money, and you get far less.

tony.
That's a pretty complete car which is obviously fairly original... could fall in to the Amilcar rationalisation brigade if that gets separated, surely....