The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syncromesh Gearbox Layshaft
Hi,
I am repairing a Syncromesh Gearbox for a Ruby. I need to make new Layshaft Bushes.
Does anyone know the correct Bush flange thickness. The existing bush flanges are badly worn therefore I am unable to measure them accurately. 
Best regards,
Tod
Many seem to get by by spacing out the old bushes.
I wouldn't take this as gospel but I have measurements from a 'new' pair of bushes - not originals - showing 0.125" flange thickness on the smaller OD bush and 0.1325" on the larger. You can achieve a certain amount of adjustment (and indeed maladjustment!) by varying the gasket thickness under the end caps. The ideal is about 5 thou end float. More than one member here has reported carefully measuring it all then ending up with less clearance than expected - possibly due to the case cooling after fitting bearings? Or compression of aforementioned gaskets? Anyway don't set it too tight.

As Bob says, many people re-face the old bushes and re-use them with a suitable shim behind.
Hi Bob & Chris,
Many thanks for the replies. I will make up new bushes to those sizes. As you say the float can be adjusted by the gasket thickness.

Thanks for your help,
Tod
As a matter of interest, did the wearing flange have an oil trench in it originally? Most are now too worn to tell.
Never seen any sign of one Bob.

I have noticed on some replacement bushes (when such things were to be had) the oil groove in the bush bore was handed the 'other' way, which perhaps raises the question of whether it might better draw in oil past the flange and expel it through the drilling in the side of the lay gear, or vice versa?