The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door trim plywood and ali capping.
(02-11-2020, 09:56 PM)Mick Hobday Wrote: The original trim panels on chummies was of 3mm beech ply covered in thin non-stretchy rexine with, I believe, no padding of any sort.  Later long chassis tourers were padded with the very thinnest sheet of cotton wadding. That way you will find that the lip on the ali capping drops nicely over the the door trim panel as it should. Thin beech ply should be still available although slightly thicker ply can be used, you just need to give the edges a gently sloping chamfer to get the edges down to 3mm.
You see many replacement trim panels unfortunately made with ply that is much too thick, padded with thick foam and covered with thick stretchy vinyl, giving the effect of a 1980s DFS settee rather than a cheap and cheerful 1920s Austin 7.
The ali capping from Woolies is very nearly correct but would be even better if you were to file and polish the top surface more or less flat, rather than being slightly raised or bowed.
Thanks, Mike. The ply fitted is 5mm thick and covered with a rather thick rexine-looking stuff.
3.6mm ply is listed - and thanks for the tip about thinning down the edges. I have the ali capping coming from Wollies and need to look up how to anneal and bend it. I'll certainly flatten the top. All-in-all a rather entertaining job to tackle.

(02-11-2020, 09:49 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 07:25 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 01:56 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Where do you believe the aluminium strip has been shortened?
When the cast capping is fitted in the correct place the aluminium capping comes up short. 
Has it had new door skins?
No. I'm sure -from the state of the wood, of the screws holding it together and the sidescreen fittings - that they are original.
My RF saloon came with bright yellow quilted plastic 1950s trim and head-lining. All in the best paaasible taste....
Aircraft Grade Birch Plywood in 3mm or less is available though expensive. Sheet size is 1270 x 1270mm.

https://www.aircraftplywoodandtimber.co.uk/prices.html
(03-11-2020, 01:51 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Aircraft Grade Birch Plywood in 3mm or less is available though expensive. Sheet size is 1270 x 1270mm.

https://www.aircraftplywoodandtimber.co.uk/prices.html
Thanks - yes, I've found that this morning 3mm birch ply. I'm sure that it will last me out...