The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - December
[Image: 158_26_11_17_7_48_04.jpeg]

The Gallery is growing, and I thought it might be amusing to bring you a picture each month for wider appreciation.

I'll start with this one submitted by Peter Naulls, since nothing is known about it - maybe someone can add some information? It's obviously a professionally constructed body, so I've put it in the Coachbuilt section, but by whom? The key features I have identified are the long bonnet, which unusually reaches right back to the windscreen and leading edge of the door, the stepped line of the top of the door, and most unusually it's a four-seater. The hood looks like it's in the process of being fitted, so perhaps we are looking at the coachbuilder's premises?

Comments welcome!

Edit: Although the bodywork looks to be new in this photo, the front axle and suspension look a bit weathered, and the front tyres are past their best, so although the car probably dates from 1927-28, perhaps this is a mid-thirties re-body?
The early shape radiator must be unusual in being plated. Did anyone other than Gordon England use these? The front wings look Gordon England-ish too.

Peter.
Practically all the coachbuilt versions of the 1920s featured a plated radiator shell so that doesn't provide any real clue ...
There is something not quite right with the hood, could it be in the process of having the hood made, or is it actually a tarpaulin placed over the the car? I am wondering if we are being deceived somewhat with the appearance due to this, not that any of the above answers what the car actually is!
Black Art Enthusiast
(01-12-2017, 06:57 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: There is something not quite right with the hood, could it be in the process of having the hood made, or is it actually a tarpaulin placed over the the car? I am wondering if we are being deceived somewhat with the appearance due to this, not that any of the above answers what the car actually is!

I think you may well be on to something, Ian. Look at the lines of the longitudinal roof spars. They're not spaced out evenly. Why would that be? Also, is the 'Austin' radiator badge on back to front? Steering wheel etc. is on the correct side for RHD but is it, actually, LHD and the negative has been printed wrong way round?

Steve
Not an arrow?
So we are agreed the hood is in the process of fitting, then! The 'longitudinal spars' are just tapes to tension the frame, and it's not unusual for them to be less than carefully aligned! The Austin badge reads correctly - you can just make out the leg of the A next to the shell - but it is certainly in an unusual position. I don't think it's an Arrow; the first Arrows were built on cars with the larger 1929-style radiator, and I have never seen a photo of an Arrow Foursome with that high line of door-top, and although the Arrow did have a very long bonnet, there was still some scuttle between it and the windscreen and leading edge of the door.

Keep the guesses coming!
Look at the windscreen supports and frame. It doesn't appear to fold or open to me? Is it actually a coach built fabric saloon body under construction?

Stuart.
I had similar thoughts Stuart, I even wondered if the back looked a little van like? The front though has a slightly sporty appearance, and as mentioned above the wings seem to have a look of cup about them.
Black Art Enthusiast
It bothers me slightly that the bonnet wouldn't open fully without releasing the hood - maybe that why they didn't become popular!

The bodywork is quite ambitious though if it was just a one-off special.

Peter.