The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sir Herbert and a 1931 Austin 7 Saloon
Probably seen before - but new to me:
"27th April 1931: English industrialist Sir Herbert Austin locks an Austin 7 at Pass & Joyce's showrooms before shuffling the key with the other keys in the pile on the floor. The person who picks out the right key wins the car."

The car is new - but notice the precautionary drip tray.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yeah I went to a party like that once.
Alan Fairless
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
As a prominent London dealership, why did Pass & Joyce think it nessecary to describe Sir Herbert as an "Englsh industriallist"? As for the shovel for key mixing, I shall leave any further comment to the ooh matron brigade, who have already risen to the occasion.
RM with door locks??
(30-10-2020, 11:20 PM)Henry Harris Wrote: RM with door locks??
From the size of the lock. it looks to be a one-off fitting for the occasion. Judging by the pile of keys, it's unlikely to have been won.
Yes I've seen this before and was surprised because I did't think locking door handles were standard fitment.
They weren't, Dave; if you look closely you can see the lock is a large external box - obviously unique to the competition.
Like Alan, I used to go to those parties. But I became so fed up of always getting the Morris Minor that I stopped going...

(They probably didn't tell people about the 40ft well underneath that mound of keys.  Hence the spade...)
Makes you wonder where all those keys came from -expect someone will know!