The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAMSHAFT REPROFILING
Hi everyone from Italy!

I have a worn Austin 7 camshaft 3 bearings, i need to reprofile it and as it will go in a special, i would be happy to have something more racing oriented... let's call it "fast road specifications".

I have emailed pigsty racing but no reply, any suggestion where to do an exchange basis or to have mine reprofiled? 

thank you, Emanuel
If he is still doing them Paul Bonewell is your man, extremely good at what he does and will give you something that will actually work in your given situation.
Black Art Enthusiast
Paul Bonewell is utterly dependable and knows his stuff 100%. If you don’t have his contact details I can pass them on to you.
(01-12-2017, 08:29 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Paul Bonewell is utterly dependable and knows his stuff 100%.  If you don’t have his contact details I can pass them on to you.

Thank you i can't find him on google, i would be happy to have his contact details with email address if possible,
You have a PM.
Would someone be able to send me Paul’s contact details as I am looking to get a cam reprofiled.

Thanks

Peter
You can get him on: paulbonewell@btinternet.com
I have a fast road camshaft profile logged with Kent Cams in my name. Please contact me if you are interested.
I have one of Paul’s cams and he did a very nice job.

I had previously had one reprofiled by “another supplier” and the lobes were different shapes, it was very noisy and wore through the hardening in about 10,000 miles. to be I think the tappets were probably too flat which may have contributed to the problem.

I am curious as to whether it is worth having a completely new cam made up rather than just reprofiling an original. I assume that it would allow more scope to get the best possible profile than operating within the limits imposed by grinding down the existing lobes? Given how much it costs to build an engine an hundred quid or so spent on the cam doesn’t seem to much. Does anyone have a view on whether it is worth it? Reprofiling seems to cost about £100-£120 and I assume a complete new cam would be less than £300?
(07-06-2018, 11:04 AM)Tom Coates Wrote: I am curious as to whether it is worth having a completely new cam made up rather than just reprofiling an original. I assume that it would allow more scope to get the best possible profile than operating within the limits imposed by grinding down the existing lobes? Given how much it costs to build an engine an hundred quid or so spent on the cam doesn’t seem to much. Does anyone have a view on whether it is worth it? Reprofiling seems to cost about £100-£120 and I assume a complete new cam would be less than £300?

Would be very interested to hear if you (or anyone else on here) could find a supplier who will machine a one-off cam from a billet for less than £300.

I recently got quotes for a one off cam for a 1920's four cylinder car I'm working on at the moment (not an A7, but the cam design is very similar with a skew gear drive oil pump). Newman Cams £600 + VAT; Kent Cams £650 + VAT.