The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1933 AUSTIN 7 RP SALOON
Hello all, just received this e-mail from a facebook user. greatly surprised by the comments on facebook about my car by austin 7 club and forum members. i am a member of the austin 7 club and forum myself and didnt think you would stoop to this level. those who are commenting should know better and i will be cancelling my membership. i would strongly advise those who are commenting to remove their posts.

Graeme

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Who or what is 'the austin seven club of facebook', and what are they saying? There are dozens of Austin Seven Clubs in the UK, and I doubt if any of them would make libellous comments about an owner's car.
Hello Graeme. I'm sorry that you have taken offence at the comments made on Facebook. I've re-read the discussions on both the "Austin Seven" and "Austin Seven RN/RP Owners Group" (neither of which, contrary to Sam's claim, represents any "Austin Seven Club") and can see nothing that is malicious, or criminal. One or two people, regrettably, used words like "greedy", but I can see nothing worse than that.

You have advertised your car at a figure that you consider is realistic and fair. Others, myself included, believe that in the current climate your figure does not represent its true market value; Austin Sevens have commanded record prices in the last few years, but there seems little doubt that they are now well past their peak. Comparisons were made with similar cars being offered at very significantly lower prices and for the most part this prompted a perfectly reasonable discussion. The potential worth of our cars seems to me to be an entirely reasonable subject for debate on such a platform and it is not surprising that one with such a substantial price tag will be talked about.

I wish you every success with the sale.
It's not unusual for web users to offer unwanted/ unhelpful information & opinions (self included!) - those who use social media to advertise their wares probably need to be ready for that - but I'd be very surprised if anything illegal was going on. It's difficult to form an opinion without any specifics to go on.
And more to the point why are you complaining here about something happening on facebook?
it's a bit like making a complaint to the BBC about something you find offensive on ITV!

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Nice car Graeme.

Perhaps there are those who might be envious.

It is clearly worth what someone will pay you.

Good luck with your sale.
OK, have read the Facebook stuff out of curiosity.

I guess Sam is embarrassed having posted your advert in the hope of helping you sell it and finding that it has just started the age old debate of how much is a car worth.

I think the thing I have found in the Austin Seven world is that people are massively protective of the hobby in itself. They want it to exist as an affordable hobby where people can come into the fold at an affordable price. Spare parts are priced very fairly by enthusiasts who own and run cars themselves, which reinforces this 'grass roots' approach of keeping cars on the road to be enjoyed as custodians and then, when the time comes, sold on to another enthusiast at a fair price to keep on the road. When someone pushes the price ceiling for a car it isn't then unusual for comments to be made within the community as to what might or might not support the price tag. As to comments made being 'against the law', I think that is an interesting interpretation of free speech.

Having said all that, it looks like Sam should buy your car, as he clearly believes it to be correctly priced. Problem solved.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Social media is a real Pandora's box.
I was once told never to put out on the internet (in whatever form) what you would not be happy to see splashed all over the papers tomorrow (how quaint now!) Now it is Facebook or the Twittersphere.
For those of you with access to Facebook and wonder what all the fuss is about, here's the link..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/80694874...114822413/
I think it's worse than that David, no matter what you post there are hoards of people looking for things to get upset about.

In this particular case I can understand those who find it a bit over-priced but on the other hand it is a nicely presented car so some might reasonably think it a fair ask.