The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
physical differences in 35A and 35M dynamos?
And in case there is confusion the upper diag is 35A and the lower 35M. Persons try to rmove the 35A inside screws and plate and damage the windings.
bob - can you clarify the last part of your post pls. Do you mean the long set screws that go down between the field windings, as if they are less 'protected' than in the 35M?
Correction?
On checking my various rough sketches i think the lower diag is actually a DEL dyn although the general arrangemnt is very similar 35M. Dave published his own sketch of 35M innards at one stage.
You mean this Bob 
.jpg   Dynamo drive end bearing.jpg (Size: 37.65 KB / Downloads: 267) I  think this is the early C35A assembly because to remove the dynamo you have to remove the long bolt holding the drive gear housing in place whereas the you don't with the arrangement shown in the upper drawing in my previous post.
Hi Dave

The diag exactly matches one I had made and labelled 35M but it was eons ago and may be confused. Car has had all three.

Whilst on the topic, I have armatures apparently in good conditon but the comm is too thin (ends eventually turn up like petals) I gather some have been rewound in recent times. Are new comms fitted?
A local company that rewound armatures used to fit new commutators until about 10 years ago when the bean counters terminated the service and all the new commutators went in the skip.
All the armatures that I have had rewound have been fitted with new commutators as a matter of course.
Hi
I have just been made aware that there is a query on the C35A terminals
Your  query about the C35A dynamo.  The "D" terminal is next to the distributor; the output from the dynamo goes through the resistor (the coiled wire on top) then to the "F" terminal next to the engine..   This is the 1/2 charge. To go to full charge the knob on the SM 5 switch is switched to H which shorts the two terminals out giving full charge .the fuse works for both settings

The two Association Magazine they were printed in are 1979C & D 
I hope this helps
Harry Hales
Thumbs Up 
Hi Harry nice to see you are on A7 Friends. S&P.
For the benefit of all here's a photo of the cover, I had to search through quite a few to find one with clear stampings to paint so they would show on the photo.