The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
physical differences in 35A and 35M dynamos?
Dave's pic and my initial observation on page 1 directly conflicts with your statement above, Harry?

The wiring comes out from side furthest from the rad, yes?
Here's a photo of the underside of the terminal box, black wire to third brush red to main (top) brush.     Yes, JonE the dynamo wires come out towards the dash.    
Hi Dave I am sorry that there is confusion In the article I said that the left hand connection is D the right hand is field that is correct the confusion is the fact it is possible to put the resistor pack either way round as it is held in with two screws, I tried to help by identifying the terminals from an old photo But on a factory built
dynamo it is the other way around so it would be D engine side F is distributor side but still looking from the top cover removed it is D on the left Field on the right. I am getting old sorry
Harry - it is uploaded onto freespace for posterity in downloadable form, so everyone who comes across the thread can see the pdf. Thanks for giving permission - and thankyou for writing it, as it really helps with problem solving by determining why the different units were partnered in the first place.
https://wp.me/acvDyn-5E
Dave
Thanks for that it is my pleasure
Harry
Time for a re-issue ? 

I often refer to my old photocopy from Bill Sheehan some years ago !

Cheers, Tony.
Thanks Harry

Old hands trot out the type codes for panels, cutouts etc but without photos those not familiar with the whole range of Sevens are at sea.
May be appropriate here to point out that Fig 11 is possibly incorrect in detail as it shows rhe internal resistor connected after the first field winding and not to the beginning?
Austin seemed to have trouble deciding on fusing. Contrary to most sources, with the final arrangemet winter charge could continue with the fuse blown.
Probably the best way to dress soft silver cutout points and avoid embedded grit is to use a clean manicure file.

I cannot help being somewhat bemused by seven elctrical problems on the Forum, although have puzzled over in the past. All so wondrously simple (although Austin contrived not to make it so to owners).Have been fitting a trailer connection to a my inherited Jazz. Every lamp is wired separately with an earth from the relay panel! So gauge too small to bridge. Quite the most unsatisfying car work I have ever done. Sadly the days of tinkering and total overhauls by amateurs (or anyone) have gone. I have been all over NZ in my Seven and other old cars but I am not confident in the Jazz anywhere. if it stops I have no idea why.
Hi Bob
It is good to see that people can follow it and find it of use
With reference to Fig 11 although I did all the circuit drawings they were redrawn to tidy them up
Those who have the The Magazine of 1979 will be able see what Roger Shea in the forward said

The Kernel of this article was written by Harry Hales with tremendous clerical assistance from his wife Jan ( without here help it would have been long forgotten)
The final diagrams and photographs were produced with the help of meany friend and, and in all over a hundred and fifty hours of work has gone into producing it.May I say thanks to everyone involved.
I see from my original drawings that I did That one slipped through
One of the areas that Roger and I did disagree was how the ignition warning light worked
I see that was over 43 years ago and Roger passed away meany years ago Although if you have a copy of Practical Classics October 2020 issue there is a letter from the current owner of the car he used on his trip to Australia and his return back to the UK a few years later via the Americas it has now been restored it looks good
Hi Harry I sill  have an original copy that  I had off you many years ago, still very useful S&P. Idea