The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Question
Alan, so it doesn't explode as Charles mentioned above.
Hi All

I have a complete flywheel clutch cover from a 36 Ruby with a Borg and Beck clutch plate.  Any reason why this can’t be machined to fit an early crankcase?  

Cheers

Howard
Thanks, Chaps. Thanks, also, to those who've phoned and emailed. It's not entirely straightforward in the end so Plan B looks the better bet.

Steve
When I fitted a 1-5/16 shaft into a 1929 crankcase I had the flywheel modified to accept the early cover plate (with ring gear). The original ring gear was removed and the flywheel lightened and modified to accept the early cover. It works well.
Jim
Thanks, Jim. Done that a number of times. What I was looking to do was to fit an early type ring gear to a later type cover so as to convert it into an early type cover. Whilst I've a number of later type covers, I haven't got an early type cover available to compare the two as all mine are fitted to engines in cars. In the end, whilst it is, probably, possible in theory, it isn't a practical proposition.

Steve
(25-10-2020, 04:50 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I know how to convert a later (forward starter) flywheel into an earlier (rearward starter) flywheel but can the later clutch cover (no ring gear) be converted into an earlier clutch cover (with ring gear) by shrinking on an appropriate ring gear? I've never considered it before and I haven't got the full set of parts available to compare and measure without removing an engine from a car. I 'think' it might be possible as long as the later clutch cover was, or could be turned to, the required diameter but am I missing something?

Steve

(26-10-2020, 12:25 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Thanks, Chaps. Thanks, also, to those who've phoned and emailed. It's not entirely straightforward in the end so Plan B looks the better bet.

Steve

You could make it work, especially with a modified later flywheel. However it's something that you could play with if you owned a big lathe. Probably not worth farming out

c