The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Glovebox
Does anybody have paper templates of Ruby glovebox linings, or is anyone willing to PM me with dimensions, so that I can make a lining. I am assuming they are made out of some sort of thin board lined with headlining material. Any helpful info. welcome.

Thanks  Ian
Hello Ian
I have a Mk2 Ruby the glove box is formed in sheet metal.
Happy to help with dimensions if this is what you need ?
Not sure if it was originally lined ?
Regards
Tim
After a bit of research I released what you meant.
Seen some lined with kick board.
I have used fine pile carpet in the past it provides some sound proofing as well.
Regards
Tim
On my SWB saloon which has steel glove boxes at each end of the dash, I lined them, on a temporary basis, by folding up cardboard from an old Weetabix carton (other wheat based breakfast cereals are available) which was then covered in off-cuts of the headlining cloth, turned over at the edges of the cardboard and glued to the back. The springiness of the cardboard keeps them in place and they are still there 21 years later.
I did something similar to Malcolm with my Ruby:  Cut cardboard to fit inside the back, side and floor of the aperture - adjusting it until it was flat and holding itself in place - then covered the cardboard with headlining material.  It has been there for years.  There are rivets still place in the original sloping metal base behind the dash that suggest something more substantial was fitted originally, but it is long gone.

Colin
(25-10-2020, 01:54 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: On my SWB saloon which has steel glove boxes at each end of the dash, I lined them, on a temporary basis, by folding up cardboard from an old Weetabix carton (other wheat based breakfast cereals are available) which was then covered in off-cuts of the headlining cloth, turned over at the edges of the cardboard and glued to the back. The springiness of the cardboard keeps them in place and they are still there 21 years later.
I love these “temporary" solutions. In 1979 I was looking at Morris Patey's Sprint Special Scott and noticed that a bent 6-inch nail, threaded at one end, was holding the magneto on. When I pointed this out, Morris said, “Oh, that’s just temporary.”
”When did you do it?” I asked.
“In 1930. I was near Scarborough and the mag strapped dropped off and I couldn’t find it. I pushed the bilke along for a while and found the nail in the gutter opposite a garage. I walking in and asked if I could borrow their vice and a tap. They found me a nut as well. I must change it one day…"
As the bike had been used extensively in competitions as well as a road hack for a prodigious mileage, he never did.
All the original looking glove-boxes I've seen have been lined with brown fabric a similar shade to the dashboard, wrapped around some kind of card material. No guaranteee that this is correct but on unrestored cars they do seem more prolific than headlining coloured ones.

.jpg   Mk2Dash&glovebox.jpg (Size: 31.91 KB / Downloads: 381)
The French have a saying I don’t know what it is in French as I don’t speak the language but a rough translation is, “ There is nothing so permanent as something temporary.”

John Mason.

The glove box on my Ruby has the brown fabric lining but I would not describe the box material as cardboard it is about 3/16th thick fawn/brown in colour and particularly stiff. It could be a type of cardboard impregnated with a resin to give it strength and stiffness.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Big Grin 
A suitable material can often be found lining a briefcase.

Cheap if a charity shop purchase and you can keep tools in it  after Big Grin
(25-10-2020, 04:55 PM)John Mason Wrote: The French have a saying I don’t know what it is in French as I don’t speak the language but a rough translation is, “ There is nothing so permanent as something temporary.”

John Mason.

We had a builder who did quite a bit of work on our last house. He had the lovely Radnorshire way of saying.

”Well that’ll be temporary permanent like”

Cheers

Howard