The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we guilty of being "Minor Restomods"?
Surely, it's fair to say that different people get different things out of their interest & ownership of "Classic Cars". No single branch or enthusiasm has exclusive rights to the "True Path".

Most people who drive an A7 or any other pre war car, usually want the thrill of true "seat of your pants" motoring. Experiencing all the excitements & disappointments of motoring as it was 100 or so years ago. Re living a time when nearly every trip out is an adventure. This isn't the only way to enjoy a classic though. I am sure that a few or maybe more people on here have more than one classic & each of their cars fulfils a different role. maybe a true time warp original & a speedy sports conversion that can be raced or rallied. Neither one is more or less valid in the great scheme of things.

For most of the people who post on here, I suspect that getting grease under your fingernails is all part of the fun. Personally speaking, I get more enjoyment out of fiddling than I really do out of driving a lot of the time. This isn't the case for a lot of people though.

As folks become less & less practical & less prepared to a take something to bits on the premise that "If I can dismantle it, I can probably put it back together again" & as insurance companies make at harder & harder for owners to improve or modify their cars, I can see why these "reimagined" classics have great appeal to some owners. OK, They are never going to win points with a true purist, but if it keeps a few more interesting looking cars on the road, what's the issue?

In an era when we all look to be heading towards computer driven, plastic safety bubbles for transport before too long. Who are we to gripe about someone who is happy to brighten everyone's day driving an MGB, even if it owes more to Korea than Longbridge. Look out an all electric Austin 7 conversion can't be too far away Smile
I had the pleasure of meeting Noel a few years ago, a charming and fascinating man. He rode part the yard where I was playing Pembletons I went after him as he turned round to investigate us! His books are very interesting, riding the same machine to Italy over the Alps and a Lejog outing.
I have also done Park Rash in/on everything I own except a seven, as yet...