The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bearing manufactures
Hi All

I’ve used RHP bearings on the Brookfields engine and I’m contemplating a rear axle build in the near future.  

What make of bearings do forum members recommend for axles, RHP again?

Cheers

Howard
Definitely
SKF
FAG
NSK (who own RHP)
...to name but three

Tony Press will give you a professional view when it's not dark on his side of the planet

Charles
(22-10-2020, 04:52 PM)Charles P Wrote: SKF
FAG
NSK (who own RHP)
...to name but three

Tony Press will give you a professional view when it's not dark on his side of the planet

Charles

Any well known brand as above but the SKF bearing company has recently issued a warning about counterfeit bearings- so only buy from reputable suppliers.

Genuine bearings - particularly roller bearing-  won't be cheap.

Some years back our Spares people cleverly bought up some old stock of original Ransome and Marles, SKF etcetera  bearings.
Thanks Nick, Charles and Tony

It is good to have RHP confirmed as a bearing of choice.  I am surprised by the variation in cost of bearings not necessarily due to dodgy copies being cheaper.  I bought some 1 1/4” LJT diff bearings recently and the prices ranged from £54 up to £78 before tax.  And it was a cherished supplier that was the cheapest!

One final question.  I bought bearings described as 1 1//4 LJT but on offer were both 14 1/1/4” LJT and 16 11/4 LJT.  Not being a mechanical engineer I’m assuming that the 14 and 16 are numbers of balls in the cage.  But I’d be interested in a more informed answer.

Cheers

Howard
Bearing prices vary massively because it's an industry with habitual hefty retail mark ups thrust upon the unwary.
Always shop around but as Tony said, beware cheap SKF stuff from sources that have no reputation to protect. I usually favour Simplybearings or Bearingboys as first places to look but there are other very good vendors, including decent cherished suppliers.

Charles