The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP needed with original painting
The registration is, indeed, YA 7103; I forget who owned it at the time, but it was a regular attendee at Beaulieu and Longleat (the name John Harris comes to mind, but I may have that wrong). The original set was also printed as postcards by Hill & Tyler in Nottingham when I worked there! I think I may still have a few sets, from memory there was also a BSA Bantam and a couple of Bristol trams ...
YA 7103 belonged to the late John Harris and was (probably still is) on long-term loan to the National Museum at Beaulieu. Here is a photo of him in it at the 750 Beaulieu rally in 2012.

Attached Files
.jpg   YA7103d.jpg (Size: 540.56 KB / Downloads: 293)
I guess with the background  of the picture more or less established it is safe to digress.

People really did picnic like that in the 1920s. I have period  photos of family  with neighbours. Two vast pre WW1 cars parked together on rough ground and, although the Colonies and tradespeople, everyone dressed as the Seven picture, even to the school uniforms. Such picnics were common into the 1950s, although not in Sunday clothes.
The battery on our RP was moved to a box under the bonnet and a Primus was carried alongside. A bit of a threat to the eyebrows for most but my  father was a plumber accustomed to petrol irons. Thermettes were far more common (a cylindrical sheetmetal tank surrounding a central flue; burned sticks)  Person would picnic by the roadside. The tradition, along with evening meal at the beach, seems to have died. Roads are too fast and busy and areas accessible for parking now too bleak. Instead of sprawling on the grass my father usually unbolted the seats, while the running boards provided for children.
Thank you all so far for your input so far.

Especially finding the car it is a painting off.

And david, I love the picture with Mr Harris sitting in the car.

If my 1923 car looks that good when finished, I'll be over the moon.

Next is deciding what to do, or were to sell the picture.

I'm not a paintings person, of any subject.

I have a few pre WW1 car posters round the house, as I like the advertising designs?

Tony.
Here is John Harris (in the wheelchair) at 2012 Beaulieu celebrating the 50th anniversary of the rally.

And here's the car on display in the NMM.

.jpg   beaulieu chummy small.jpg (Size: 153.39 KB / Downloads: 196)
And again at the 2014 Beaulieu

According to the programme Richard Harris was the owner/driver
I love the style. It is somewhat evocative of the LNER posters.

Best,

Erich
About 4 or so years ago (I don't remember exactly when) this same painting was up for sale, possibly on ebay, but it might have been another site.  It was described as original but the copyright remained with the artist. It was not prohibitively expensive - a few hundred pounds at the time, but although tempted I couldn't justify buying it to my better half. It seems there could be more than one original painting? It's not unusual for an artist to paint more than one example, or am I being naïve? I wish I'd kept a record now. It might be possible to conduct an internet search. Not very helpful, but others might have come across it at the time.
(01-12-2017, 05:49 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Here is John Harris (in the wheelchair) at 2012 Beaulieu celebrating the 50th anniversary of the rally.

And here's the car on display in the NMM.
I do not wish to distract attention from this chat trial but Nick Salmon's photo of John Harris at Beaulieu in 2012 with an A7 to the left of the group with registration number JG 48## suddenly attracted my attention as my first A7 Ruby back in the 1960's had the registration JG 4836 and I've been wondering what has happened to it as my searches haven't brought about any information on it. Wonder if anyone might know? Thanks
Beware, there is a minefield regarding the ownership of original art that was commissioned by someone else for a specific use. The minefield extends to copyright, permission to use, and uses in different formats and finally the actual bit of stuff itself. I will attempt to stir the grey matter...