The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
shellac for wiring in dynamo
I posted on FB about a couple of scuffed wires - metal exposed - inside the dynamo. Shellac was suggested as original and a left-field one was considering JB Weld - good and heat resistant.
Any more detailed advice about how to use shellac, or any other suggestions? Clearly one cannot get shrink fit around the said wire... so I just want to make sure it is as safe as possible.
shellac is some sort of beetles jizm melted into meths.

You paint it on, and the meths evaporates. the shellac stays.
French Polish
Jim
Thanks. I know what it is, (wingcases probably) I'm just after wanting to know if anyone has actually used it in this location! I'm presuming just paint on and let it build up as it dries, as per French polish....
CRC make a product specifically for this purpose. Comes in a spray can.
Which is why you never clean your 78's with anything stronger than soapy water.
JB Weld contains steel particles which woud make its use unsuitable for this repair.
https://www.jb-weld.co.uk/jb-weld-tech-data-sheets
Hi Chris

I didn’t think you were that old... Do you still sharpen needles before using them. And have you upgraded the player to electric or are you still winding by hand?

Smile Smile Smile

Howard
Electric power conversion is quite a good idea. The sound and sight of the line shafting across the end wall of the sitting room is always something of a distraction.
I have a friend who gives me his used needles they are very useful in the workshop.