The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy radiator capacity?
Can anyone tell me the water capacity of a chummy radiator and also the approximate core dimensions.
Many thanks,
John.
I think you’ve stumped the technical team there John, If I still had mine and pop out and measure it for you!
What year is your Chummy - at least three types of radiators were used over production?
I don’t have a chummy Ruairidh, it’s for my lightweight Ruby special, the very good but non-Austin rad I have is on the small side and I’m wondering if I’ll get away with it.
Basically I’d like to know what was the size/capacity of the smallest rad Pa Austin deemed adequate - which I imagined might be a small chummy?
Thanks so much for taking an interest.
Cheers, John.
6 pints at smallest, roughly.
Hi John (and Ruairidh)

I think 6 pints includes the hoses and space in the engine block, ie the total amount of fluid you put in to reach the level just below the cap.

Cheers

Howard

Hi John

A further thought.  If you are not worried about period authenticity you can always use an electric fan and pump?

Cheers

Howard
Thanks Howard but 6 pints in the system look do-able. Fingers crossed.
Still needing some dimensions as I’ll be making a bespoke rad surround/bonnet assembly and I’d like to know another rad would fit.
Hi John

Unless someone posts before me I’ll measure the core on my 29 radiator tomorrow and let you know.  Earlier cars did have smaller cores!

Cheers

Howard
I am hoping Stuart Palmer may post later for you...
My blown single seater special has a very small radiator so I added a stainless tank on the scuttle & fitted a 12V circulatory pump from a VW. I fitted it next to the RF engine mount using a simple strap which locates under the RF engine mount bolt. It takes the feed directly from the lower rad hose & then pumps that up into the scuttle tank which has an internal labyrinth to prevent a direct path hot stream from in to out. The water then returns to the block via the side water feed which I flipped over to accept the feed from the scuttle tank. I painted the pump black to make it more discreet.

In the top view of the se-up the curved pipe should be fitted to the water pump but I drain the motor after events & I actually moved this pipe up & out the way to take the pic of the pump. The side view of the engine shows the pipe on the pump. I have 3 toggle switches on the dashboard - ignition; pump & fans. It works exceptionally well & apart from the curved stainless scuttle tank, the whole set-up was relatively inexpensive. 

Here's the pump I used --> https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32900854361.html - about 45 Quid

Aye
Greig

Attached Files
.jpg   Pump.JPG (Size: 198.7 KB / Downloads: 141)
.jpg   Water return from the pump.JPG (Size: 133.24 KB / Downloads: 141)
.jpg   Top view.JPG (Size: 169.77 KB / Downloads: 141)