The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New items conserved in the Archive..
Two very nice pieces have been placed in the Archive this week after being framed. The first, a large poster donated by Bill Sheehan and created by the Australian Austin 7 Club, Victoria is a lovely poster showing all the Australian body styles for the Austin 7. This large piece will adorn the wall when we move the Archive to its new room in Lubbenham.

The second, much smaller piece, is a lovely black and white lubrication chart dating from 1931. This was already in the collection and turned up when we were organising materials.

Both items were framed by Lance Sheldrick who only charged us for the materials and gave his labour for free. I really liked the way that Lance approached the work and 'conserved' the artifacts rather than sticking them to a backing sheet and leaving them flat. They still show signs of having been rolled, for instance, which is part of their history. I would like to thank both Lance and Bill for their contributions...

I hope it won't be too long after we make the room move (scheduled for early in the New Year), when we can think about having another open day and you can see them for yourselves..

Hugh
Thinking about the Highland Sports Coupe project in another post, I draw your attention in the Australian Bodies poster to the coupe item, five rows down, second from the left. This is described as a  "7 hp Austin Coupe Leather finish. Body by Green. "  Rather nice to my mind. Incidentally I've never heard of Green as a coachbuilder, perhaps our Australian friends may like to comment. There are several Green bodies listed on the poster.
Interesting; Green is not known to the coachbuild.com forum, which seems to have a pretty comprehensive record of coachbuilders worldwide.
will we be able to see digitised copies somewhere to scrutinise Greens better online?
If you click on the images, they should open in a new window which you can then enkarge to study the images more closely..

hth....

Hugh
The 1927 de-luxe saloon by Propert looks interesting (second from left, top row); has it got a Sports raked steering column? The proportions make it look rather like the later B Coupe.
that is just what I was thinking....
(16-10-2020, 08:02 AM)Archivist Wrote: Two very nice pieces have been placed in the Archive this week after being framed. The first, a large poster donated by Bill Sheehan and created by the Australian Austin 7 Club, Victoria is a lovely poster showing all the Australian body styles for the Austin 7. This large piece will adorn the wall when we move the Archive to its new room in Lubbenham.

The second, much smaller piece, is a lovely black and white lubrication chart dating from 1931. This was already in the collection and turned up when we were organising materials.

Both items were framed by Lance Sheldrick who only charged us for the materials and gave his labour for free. I really liked the way that Lance approached the work and 'conserved' the artifacts rather than sticking them to a backing sheet and leaving them flat. They still show signs of having been rolled, for instance, which is part of their history. I would like to thank both Lance and Bill for their contributions...

I hope it won't be too long after we make the room move (scheduled for early in the New Year), when we can think about having another open day and you can see them for yourselves..

Hugh
Hugh,

An excellent idea to frame and hang these two items.

The list of Australian cars  is quite amazing.

Green was a body builder briefly in the late 20's early 30's  - I have the following:

William Green, Paramatta Road. Petersham, Sydney  NSW. (also at Padstowe)

He was mainly known for the Green version of the Australian bodied Austin 7 Wasp in 1929.

The Source Book Page 137 shows a 1928 Wasp by Melbourne Motor Body Works.

The Lubrication Chart is the earliest version I have see of the Wakefield Chart.

Austin usually supplied the large green and red Lubrication Chart (originally with side view chassis) in an envelope together with the handbook and spare parts book, did they make an arrangement with Wakefield for them to supply this new smaller chart and envelope ?

I have an original  large 1937 Austin red and green lubrication chart with plan view chassis but no envelope (The Source book lists a Garage Chart 1330C for 1937).

I also have a 1937 small red and black Wakefield chart complete in the original Austin style envelope marked "Enclosed your *Austin Seven Lubrication Chart"  (* in Austin script) marked LC-5J-37-28)-2/37 together with a reply paid card to request a chart to be sent to friends for their cars foc and a card warning to only use patent Castrol oil.

Not sure of the arrangement with Wakefield ?

Cheers, Tony.