The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1930 A7 Saloon with a mini engine £18,000
I assume that if, as part of the modifications, an Alfa de Dion back axle with combined gearbox/diff had been installed, the wording of the ad would welcome it. As for gear change fun, if anyone mutters about long and slightly wobbly gear sticks, I immediately know they are too young and have led too sheltered a life to have driven  a Standard Atlas van. Now I must hury off to an engineers with a block for gentle re-boring, today's delivery vehicle is a 2CV, a great deal quicker than an Atlas, a CA Bedford, a Z series Morris in correct GPO livery, a Commer...cont. p94
Hey, don't knock the old Atlas; I had two of them, and whilst the gearchange may look awkward, it was, in fact, very pleasant to operate... but slow, it was!
Hi Circeonya
Until about 1958 most cars had XB steel exh valves and BMC, Hillman et al burned valves sooner or later. I ran a javelin foolishly on weak mixtures and it murdered valves but later non magnetaic materials survived even with cracked seats.
My understanding is that the A30 originally had white metal bes and was ok with later substitutes.
I recal Bill boddy in Motor Sport explaining that his daughter had one and was uncharacteristically instructed not to exceed 50 mph (A film of BMC testing later shells was on this Forum recently)
Oils improved markedly from mid 50s and oldies now last much as moderns. (The cheapest supermarket oils are now rated higher then the best 1960s)
That looks like an 803cc engine as fitted to the A30 and MM Minor. Hopeless. I replaced mine with a 1098 and threw the 803 in the skip.
I did the same on my old split screen minor but replaced the 803 with a 1275.  Much more fun ?.

Howard
I transplanted a 1098 into my A30 from an crashed A40 rally car. The engine had twin carbs, a high lift cam and was gas flowed. I had never known such an exciting A30.

The gearing was far too low so while acceleration was blistering the top speed was limited but that didn't matter to me.

I loved it.

Would leave an MGB standing at the lights!