The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phone scam
I've had several calls from contacts regarding a phone scam. My address book seems to have been hacked and if you get a call asking for help in buying an amazon gift card for my niece 
It's not me
Thank you for that Duncan, because I have received just such an email purportedly from you.

David.
No phone calls but I'm assuming that the email you sent me was also not something to open..?
I'm not sure about these things...I'm quite good at sheetmetal work but computers?
I think I'd delete it. I believe they work on the principle that one of my contacts must be a sucker? It all makes you feel a bit grubby
Hi Duncan 

Hope your niece got the £100 voucher?  I’ll expect your cheque in the post  Smile Smile Smile Smile.

Seriously if you haven’t already done so change your passwords (machine, email etc).

I don’t think this was a very competent scam.  The email didn’t give a link (which you shouldn’t open) and seemed very amateurish.  Fortunately most of these contact heists end up with the hacker selling the contact list to companies that just send advertising out using your mail address.

Hope you get it cleaned up soon?

Cheers

Howard