The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Hat Mesh Oil Filters
Do the two mesh filters in the block serve any useful purpose or are they a token gesture? Mine seem to have scuttled off into  darkest recesses of the garage whilst I have been working on the rest of the engine.

Regards,

Jamie.
They stop the valve collets you drop falling into the sump. Live dangerously if you wish.

Regards,

Stuart
I have come across those mesh things totally blocked, also seen them cut open perhaps to improve breathing
Unlike other cars there is no inlet filter. So with those little jets feeding the big ends and other small drillings the sheet filter very important. Collects split pin wings, piston ring bits, white metal and the larger bits of carbon from piston underside. Note any silicon blobs, cork bits, thread sealant etc downstream are headed for the oil jets.
Thank you fo rthe replies. I have had another good look, but I have no idea where the things have gone.

Does anyone have a spare pair of the tubular, top hat mesh filters for the block that they would be happy to sell?

Regards,

Jamie.
Provided swabs used when removing collets, gauze not necessary. At one stage my car was plagued by condensation in oil problems. To improve fitted a breather to carb from valve cover and ran for years with no gauze. (No condensation but runnng very altered. suspect a positive breather may increase oil consumption)