The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Reliant engined Ulster build
Sorry Arthur,
Rather agree with the former posts..this is an Austin 7 ( which to my mind means Austin seven engines)site. Everyone has been very helpful to you thus far but if you want to build a Reliant Special, you may be best served by 750 MC..
Hope the project works out,
David.
There are no interchangeable parts between a reliant side valve engine  and an Austin Seven engine.
With a lot of work you can make a reliant crank fit a 3 bearing crankcase.
The overhead Reliant engine is totally different.
If your struggling for space stick a 125 bike engine in it
(29-11-2017, 10:48 PM)DavidB Wrote: Sorry Arthur,
Rather agree with the former posts..this is an Austin 7 (  which to my mind means Austin seven engines)site. Everyone has been very helpful to you thus far but if you want to build a Reliant Special, you may be best served by 750 MC..
Hope the project works out,
David.

So is my project, sorry to upset some of you rather boring purists!!

Re-read my original post please....I expect to come up against some of you with your absolutely purer than pure interests/comments, but at risk of repeating myself, re-read my post, and since when is this forum against Austin Seven specials.....really, some of you chaps astound me!

I love all Austin Sevens, have many many books on the subject, and will eventually own more genuine Austin Sevens...but I know what I wish to build at present, and I know that I am not alone...if you don't like what I am building, please refrain from replying, after all, I made myself perfectly clear in my original post...I'd like to hear from similarly minded types...which contrary to those who've replied to date, do in fact exist, therefore, if you don't like what I'm doing/thinking of doing, why reply?

Is there any part of the above reply or my original post that isn't quite explicit?!

regards

Arthur

(29-11-2017, 10:50 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: There are no interchangeable parts between a reliant side valve engine  and an Austin Seven engine.
With a lot of work you can make a reliant crank fit a 3 bearing crankcase.
The overhead Reliant engine is totally different.
If your struggling for space stick a 125 bike engine in it

I agree entirely with you. However, your answers are not particularly helpful are they?!

I would rather put a Moto Guzzi 750 V twin in it than a 125....so let's not be daft please!

15 minutes of fame comes to mind with some of these ridiculous replies! Now who said that?!

Arthur
Yes, I've put a ohv reliant into a seven chassis. Several in fact
I read every post on this forum, and learn something new every day, people ask for advice and help and we all benefit from the answers given. If people cant give a sensible answer then please do not reply to the post, just because the subject may not agree with your own perception of what an Austin 7 should be. Arthur like myself and many before us is building a special using non Austin parts, if it was made from all Austin components it would still be as special, even if every part of a car is correct in every way and you may want to call it a replica, its still a special, there are a lot of non Austin powered specials out there some have been around competing in events for many years and are now well respected cars.
I will agree that an Austin powered special will be worth a lot more money but on the other hand the car can be built for a lot less, my OHV 850 Reliant engine and gearbox cost me £165, if any of you complainers know how to get around 39 BHP out of an Austin 7 engine for that price please let me know. At the end of the day our Reliant powered cars will have 12v electrics and a decent charging system and enough power to keep up with modern traffic without putting to much strain on the original Austin mechanical parts, whilst retaining most of the charm of 1930s driving.
(29-11-2017, 11:19 PM)Alan Wrote: Yes, I've put a ohv reliant into a seven chassis. Several in fact

Blimey. A multi-engined Austin special? Shades of the Bimotore Alan?  Big Grin

Charles
(29-11-2017, 11:19 PM)Alan Wrote: Yes, I've put a ohv reliant into a seven chassis. Several in fact

Excellent, might we exchange ideas/photos etc please. I've emailed you directly.

Arthur

(30-11-2017, 01:09 AM)Phil Kingdom Wrote: I read every post on this forum, and learn something new every day, people ask for advice and help and we all benefit from the answers given. If people cant give a sensible answer then please do not reply to the post, just because the subject may not agree with your own perception of what an Austin 7 should be. Arthur like myself and many before us is building a special using non Austin parts, if it was made from all Austin components it would still be as special, even if every part of a car is correct in every way and you may want to call it a replica, its still a special, there are a lot of non Austin powered specials out there some have been around competing in events for many years and are now well respected cars.
I will agree that an Austin powered special will be worth a lot more money but on the other hand the car can be built for a lot less, my OHV 850 Reliant engine and gearbox cost me £165, if any of you complainers know how to get around 39 BHP out of an Austin 7 engine for that price please let me know. At the end of the day our Reliant powered cars will have 12v electrics and a decent charging system and enough power to keep up with modern traffic without putting to much strain on the original Austin mechanical parts, whilst retaining most of the charm of 1930s driving.

Excellent, I couldn't put it better myself. The title of the forum is Austin Seven Friends, so can it be unbiased please. Austin specials have been about for over 70 years as far as I can see, why, because one can build/have one....at risk of repeating myself from previous threads, Alec Issigonis/Colin Chapman and lots of other very famous innovators started out with Austin Seven specials, and if one doesn't recognise those two people, then one is most certainly ignorant within the field of motoring history.

May I exchange vies/ideas/photos with you Phil, if I might be so bold. My email is art@spitfireart.com

(30-11-2017, 06:22 AM)Charles P Wrote:

Blimey. A multi-engined Austin special? Shades of the Bimotore Alan?  Big Grin

Charles
I found a Reliant 850cc aero engine the other day too....jolly exciting, and as we know, the A7 engine was also used in an early aero design as well as boat, as well as the very first Reliant three wheeler...so full circle.

Differences apart, the Reliant 850cc engine would not exist, most likely if it were not for the Austin 7 engine...hence the intricate and intrinsic relationship between both engine designs, which is inescapable.

Arthur
Yes, Charles, I know, ''twas a bugger to find somewhere to sit. That's why I learned to make quick Austin engines. I still fancy a Coventry climax except Jonesy wouldn't give it a buff form.
Getting a bit heated here -- surely the choice of " merlinart" is indicative of a chap who wishes to perform some wizardry and has chosen the Austin Seven as his field of magical endeavor.
I would say good luck to you Arthur and let us know how you get on.
Perhaps a round table in the workshop?

Charles
(30-11-2017, 09:39 AM)Alan Wrote: Yes, Charles, I know, ''twas a bugger to find somewhere to sit. That's why I learned to make quick Austin engines. I still fancy a Coventry climax except Jonesy wouldn't give it a buff form.

Tempting though, Alan. Couple of CC engines for sale very close to me.  Big Grin

Steve