The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Reliant engined Ulster build
What ho chaps.

I have now bolted down my Rod Yates body to the chassis to begin checking the fit of all the other panels then engine and gearbox fit etc.

Once this has all been check fitted, it will all be dismantled and the chassis blasted then painted, then the chassis fully refurbished throughout.

I am initially fitting and running the Reliant set up whilst I rebuild the original A7 engine/gearbox at leisure.

I have 2 Reliant engine/gearbox combinations plus a bare block and head, so with the latter it is easy to move components about on the chassis. The sump will have to be cut and modified to fit forward in the chassis and I intend using the chassis bolt holes for the original engine, for the Reliant, so will fabricate suitable mountings etc.

Have any others done similar please? I know that some have, indeed I spoke with a chap at the Beaulieu 750MC meeting, but failed to get his name and number.

I would appreciate photos of such an installation, particularly where the sump has been modified thus allowing the engine to sit forward. It is also a question of getting the height correct being that the engine from sump bottom to top of SU carb is taller than the original.

So, lots of play time ahead! I shall re-install the original engine/gearbox, carefully noting position of everything relative to the new body etc, then do similar with the bare Reliant block with plate and gearbox on the back. I expect to have to have a new propshaft made up, but then I deal with Bailey Morris for shafts for my three wheelers anyway.

Many thanks in advance, this is a magnificent forum and my first real foray into vintage stuff.

regards

Arthur
good luck! exciting time...

Seems an awful lot of diversionary work and cost and I wonder whether you might feel its a retrograde step (power/feel etc) when you eventually put in the original engine in? Why not just put the time/investment into building the engine a bit quicker? :-)

I can see that having a spare engine that is sitting around (and you know is a good runner) yields strong impetus.
(29-11-2017, 03:18 PM)JonE Wrote: good luck! exciting time...

Seems an awful lot of diversionary work and cost and I wonder whether you might feel its a retrograde step (power/feel etc) when you eventually put in the original engine in? Why not just put the time/investment into building the engine a bit quicker? :-)

I can see that having a spare engine that is sitting around (and you know is a good runner) yields strong impetus.

I've had this kind of comment before and no disrespect, everyone is entitled to opinions, however, this is nothing odd, it has been done quite a few times so I'm informed and the Reliant engine being a distant cousin to the A7 is very well respected in the 750MC.

On tap is around 40bhp for very little cost, and I want to do it. I will either replace with an A7 engine should I wish to sell it on or simply build another with an A7 engine. It isn't just a question of having an engine sitting around, I specifically bought in 2 engines, one is still sitting in the bare Reliant chassis which is my "engine test bed". Being a car builder anyway, I am always looking for new challenges. Yes, I might not like it, but, I must try it!

After all, in their first three wheeler, Reliant used the Austin engine, then when the engine went out of production, they developed their own all alloy block/head.

Hydraulic brakes beckon too, all been done before.

Arthur
Seems a waste, not because you aren't fitting an Austin engine, but because there are two Coventry climax engines right now on eBay at less than 500 quid.
Good luck ?
(29-11-2017, 09:36 PM)Alan Wrote: Seems a waste, not because you aren't fitting an Austin engine, but because there are two Coventry climax engines right now on eBay at less than 500 quid.
Good luck ?

Bloody hell, surely if I wanted bullshit replies to my post....wouldn't I have simply asked for them....come on chaps, please keep on track/post etc!

Yes, I like Coventry Climax engines...but read my post please!

regards

Arthur
(29-11-2017, 10:02 PM)merlinart Wrote:
(29-11-2017, 09:36 PM)Alan Wrote: Seems a waste, not because you aren't fitting an Austin engine, but because there are two Coventry climax engines right now on eBay at less than 500 quid.
Good luck ?

Bloody hell, surely if I wanted bullshit replies to my post....wouldn't I have simply asked for them....come on chaps, please keep on track/post etc!

Yes, I like Coventry Climax engines...but read my post please!

regards

Arthur
Ha Ha!

I guess its because its an Austin 7 forum, rather than the 750MC.... probably a more conservative bunch with narrower goalposts!
I like Austin Sevens,wouldn't touch one with a reliant engine unless very cheap and would immediately throw the reliant engine.
You are devaluing you project, up to you what you do but your asking advice on an Austin Seven Forum, so don't be surprised at the replies.
(29-11-2017, 10:12 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: I like Austin Sevens,wouldn't touch one with a reliant engine unless very cheap and would immediately throw the reliant engine.
You are devaluing you project, up to you what you do but your asking advice on an Austin Seven Forum, so don't be surprised at the replies.

Was I asking you to touch one? Ah, so you would if it was cheap....why do I small the whiff of patronising hypocrisy...get real, and understand some history please!

Of course I'm expecting more daft responses to this! 

No, I am not devaluing my project whatsoever.

What is it with you chaps...if you can't answer my questions/offer decent advice, how about keeping your irrelevant ideas to yourselves!!

So, lets start again...some of you have actually put Reliant 850cc engines in your repro (nasty lookalike Ulsters...ha ha!) "Ulsteroids", so let's be hearing from you please.

Arthur

regards

Arthur
[quote pid='4039' dateline='1511991489']
(29-11-2017, 10:12 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: I like Austin Sevens,wouldn't touch one with a reliant engine unless very cheap and would immediately throw the reliant engine.

Was I asking you to touch one? Ah, so you would if it was cheap....why do I small the whiff of patronising hypocrisy...get real, and understand some history please!

Of course I'm expecting more daft responses to this! 

No, I am not devaluing my project whatsoever.

What is it with you chaps...if you can't answer my questions/offer decent advice, how about keeping your irrelevant ideas to yourselves!!

So, lets start again...some of you have actually put Reliant 850cc engines in your repro (nasty lookalike Ulsters...ha ha!) "Ulsteroids", so let's be hearing from you please.

Arthur

regards

Arthur
[/quote]