The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7CA Zooms into the 21st century today!
Not offended, Tony, but I just wanted to say that (as far as I am aware) *everyone* who was on the call, really appreciated the opportunities that a Zoom meeting gave us and that there was absolutely *no* downside as far as I am aware..

Hugh
Funnilly enough I've got a booking for a 'slide show' from a traction engine club at the tail end of November. This will be a zoom meeting with me presenting.

Zoom/MS Teams are pretty much industry standard now and I have a meeting with a client who cannot leave the borough tomorrow morning. I will be in the office mind.

However I've been messing tonight from the home office to make sure everything works as it should, and to optimise setrings. Me in the office, daughter on the tablet in her room as the victim. Got the webcam adjusted up for focus, decided the mic on the laptop is better than the webcam,and the speakers on the laptop are better than the ones on the screen. Even managed to share a video with sound.
We've been using zoom for our beekeeping meetings for a while now. It has literally opened up the world to knowledge sharing. We have 'attended' meetings from Beekeeping Associations all over the UK, with speakers from as far as Australia, who fitted in with our time so was in his jim jams.
I have also switched my talks to Zoom, with U3As leading the way on adopting Zoom, WIs are not so fast. It opens up attending to people unable to travel or unwilling to travel on cold winter evenings. I'm on a pretty slow connection but have shared video no problem. Haven't worked out how to share sound on a video other than through my own speakers into my microphone, if you know what I mean, but everyone seems happy.
It can be fun with new participants/organisations, where you spend some time looking at people's knees or ceilings, or listening to offers of cups of tea and biscuits (not everyone has got the hang of muting). Last one took about 20 minutes to settle everyone down as the organiser didn't understand the overall controls they have to be ready for me, cries of: 'I can't hear him', 'why can I only see my own face', 'Doreen, stop sharing your screen, it wasn't meant for you, its for the speaker, we can read your emails'...

It's a new world.
Mind you not everything can be done on Zoom. Went for a drive on Sunday morning, first for a while, and the waves brought a smile to my face.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
We are similarly using Zoom for church related matters. A colleague has a 95 year old parishioner who was adamant that she would go to her grave without ever receiving an email - who adores Zoom! She is shut in and can now see friends and participate in ways unimaginable 9 months ago.

Coming back to your beekeeping Andy if you look at the screenshot below which is the screen sharing popup on Zoom, in the bottom left you will see the checkbox that says 'share computer sound' - click that, make sure your microphone ISN'T muted and Robert is your mother's brother. (we regularly forget this step Smile

cheers
JP

Ah, thanks JP
I hadn't seen that box as I am usually too busy making sure I am sharing the right window.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(14-10-2020, 06:56 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Ah, thanks JP
I hadn't seen that box as I am usually too busy making sure I am sharing the right window.

Andy

that is pretty much the story of my life these days - cheers!  Big Grin
For fans of the form of Japanese poetry, Haiku:

You are muted Steve
Yes we can all see your screen
You are still on mute