The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A delightful example of the classic Fiat sports roadster
Wasn't there a company in Jersey that built new Swallow two seaters? This is back in the 90 's. I have detsils somewhere in my A7 scrap books. Richelieu or something?
Le Riche - they still do as far as I know.

http://www.leriche.com/index.php
Le Riche, Dave.

http://www.leriche.com/Gallery/index.php?id=Austin

Steve

Edited to say 'Snap' Ruairidh!!
(11-10-2020, 11:57 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: If I could afford it I'd use it as my daily driver to see if I could regain some of its lost soul. A bit of road muck, coffee stains on the carpet  and some briar scratches would do it the power of good
And forgetting about one's oil-soaked overalls and sitting on that white (leather?) upholstery.....
That’s a proper “promenade Percy” car!
I think it is easy to side step the fact that these coach built bodies ( although well made ) have not lasted.  There have been some heroic efforts made over many years to bring some of these survivors back to life.  It would be so much easier to scrap the rotten old Swallow body and build a 'special' but there are a few idiots like me who practically devote their lives to saving this fragment of our motoring history and restore/preserve their Sallows in as authentic condition as they can.  It's not a cheap option!

That said, it is unfortunate that this two seater has been 'over' restored; if, for no other reason that much originality has possibly been lost.  If I had that one I would give it a respray in (softer) nitro cellulose and re colour the interior to tone it down a bit. 

The mascot is incorrect but there are plans to reproduce  some  "type 3"  mascots which are virtually unobtainable.  I would like one for my car as the one I have has to be turned every time I want to lift the bonnet.

The radiator shell on this two seater has an ugly reinforcement to the  crank handle hole.  I would make it look correct if possible - but it's not an easy repair.  incidentally, the handle on a Swallow should be removeable.  I have a chrome cover on mine which is not original but I prefer it to the open hole.

The rear wings should not have stop/side lights on them and - as has already been pointed out - the use of cross head screws is lamentable.  One could go on at length about things that perhaps should or shouldn't have been done but there would be little point.

As far as driving an Austin Swallow...I find driving "Trundles" my 1930 saloon to be quite a challenge these days.   I won't go from Derby to Wollaton  in Nottingham because the little car is so small and vulnerable but that doesn't stop me tootling around the lanes near my home.  I have a preferred scenic route that tests both driver and car alike but I seldom go to 50 mph (top speed).   Incidentally, I have improved the brakes with cast drums.  A worthwhile, if expensive, upgrade,
(11-10-2020, 10:04 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Swallows came in various unusual colour schemes - unusually most had coloured wings and wheels (i.e. green, blue, burgundy etc.), with a contrasting (often but not always) lighter body colour.

a little bird told me that they had a misunderstanding on this car with instruction for the colours, and got it the wrong way round...

It must be said it looks a bit silly that way round. Unless you lived on the Downs.
Red, green, blue, brown and black were the only colours mentioned in the Swallow coachwork brochure for the 1930 model cars but my car has always been two tone grey; as have others.

In fact it is widely believed that William Lyons would have agreed to any colour scheme if it secured an order!
During the late 1920s and early 1930s, even the Austin Motor Company would entertain an order in a special colour; I'm sure none of the coachbuilders would bat an eyelid at such an order.
(10-10-2020, 11:04 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Odd, is it not, that after a huge amount of effort to make the car look "startling", they finish it off with a smattering of cross-head screws. The ones around the speedometer are particularly unpleasant. Still, an hour's work would see a number of trifling points put right - but what does the restorer's attitude to this (can't be bothered to source or make the correct form of screw) say to how the rest of the rebuild was tackled?

Not to mention the tail lamps ! 

Just being picky- but if you spend this money it would be nice to get it right