The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oil gauge and pipe differences
I'm trying to get the oil gauge working on what I thought was a '38 dash panel. Its 2" (0-10) rather than the little 1.5" ones used in Nippies and the like.
The first question - is this actually an Austin 7 David Harcourt gauge, or something borrowed from something else?
The oil pressure pipe has the same end fittings but was far smaller bore than 3/16, and I'd assumed was blocked.

I've replaced the pipe with 3/16 and everything now WORKS linked up to a smaller gauge, but I can't get anything out of the 2" diameter one, which looks like the rear male brass fitting may have been drilled out internally for some reason. 

Any thoughts?
A very basic test for a low-reading pressure gauge is to blow hard into the inlet, whilst looking at yourself in the bathroom mirror. It should be possible to see a needle deflection if the gauge is working ok.

John
Hi Jon

Alternatively push the nozzle of a can of WD40 in the fitting.

Can’t help as to whether 2” gauges were ever used on Austin’s but if it’s for your Speedex I wouldn’t worry it’s a special  Smile.

Cheers

Howard
Thanks - definitely seems duff.

Can anyone with a 37 or 38 Ruby confirm whether they have an oil gauge the same size as a fuel gauge please?
Haven't had such a good oooh matron comment for a while!

(That was meant to be in response to John, maybe his comment rejected it for being a bit naughty)
Right, an update. Got car going beautifully but presently with a jury rigged little gauge. I've redone all the pipe in thicker 3/16 as it seems possibly less prone to blocking. Could someone with a Ruby state whether all Ruby have the very narrow gauge oil pipe? Perhaps space saving a reason for implementing?

Anyway, decided that the gauge could be blocked internally, so released the front glass to check how it comes apart. Realised I'd had the glass off. Realised I'd cleverly painted the needle so it looks new again. Realised I'd thus cleverly stuck the needle to the rest stop. Released it with a finger. Tried John's method, and followed up with air pump. WORKS!

So I've congratulated myself on fixing the problem that I not only got myself into, but managed to occupy about 6 hours faffery trying to get out.
Not just me then. We should start a club.
I'll definitely be eligible. Spent hours chasing an intermittent lack of oil pressure - turned out to be a gauge that was fine for the first 10 minutes then suddenly went to zero. Never did get to the bottom of that one, so I solved it by fitting another gauge.
I'm a card carrying member !!

We tow started the newly built supercharged single seater, brand new engine --> Vroom...... no oil pressure, just a mere twitch of the needle on the gauge Cry  Tow it back to the workshop & quickly fitted another gauge --> Vroom = full oil pressure... Phew

Aye
Greig