The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hood furling
The lift a dot thread prompts me to ask this question.
Can anyone point me at a diagram as to the way of folding the hood canvas on an AG tourer (6ft3" Chassis, Chummy style steel body & doors) And how does it stay folded? Is there a hood cover to make it look tidy?
The A7 Companion shows how it is done on a Speedy, a cabriolet & a "two seater sports model", but no tourer - interestingly it shows where to stow the sidescreens,(right at the back, folding the rear seat -back out of the way) sadly the bit of wood with its cunningly drilled holes shown is long gone on my car. On the other hand that must have been for the long chassis cars with their massively increased space in the back (HO HO!) My seat back is fixed, only the squab lifts out.
Also how are the hood irons held down? I imagine a strap, but is it loose or fixed to something? I have some side curtains that appear to be almost unused, just grubby. I have yet to make a trial fitting (can't have all my excitement at once!)
Picture shows how it arrived from USA with liberal use of string!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: 158_05_11_17_4_06_16.jpeg]

This shows the hood bag arrangement for the previous model (AD); I think your model should have a pair of thin metal clips which hook over the hood irons to hold them down, but the simple solution if you haven't got them is a pair of leather straps to bind the irons together.

The illustration is from the Gallery section - a perfect example of how this feature will help owners!
Hello David
Have a look at handbook 619 and all should become clear.
Adrian.
(28-11-2017, 06:47 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: [Image: 158_05_11_17_4_06_16.jpeg]

This shows the hood bag arrangement for the previous model (AD); I think your model should have a pair of thin metal clips which hook over the hood irons to hold them down, but the simple solution if you haven't got them is a pair of leather straps to bind the irons together.

The illustration is from the Gallery section - a perfect example of how this feature will help owners!

Mike,

I was looking at this image earlier in relation to the side screen strap post - it is not lift the dot on this model, the earlier cars in your gallery are however.
(28-11-2017, 09:14 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: Hello David
Have a look at handbook 619 and all should become clear.
Adrian.

Thank you Adrian....I thought I had seen it somewhere.....so you furl it up & put the cover on it! Now where did I put that cover....??? Oh dear I will have to make one!
Anyone got a pattern????
You are best making the hood back to fit your specific car in my experience - where are you based?
(28-11-2017, 11:43 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: You are best making the hood back to fit your specific car in my experience - where are you based?

Stratford upon Avon. I will need to take the hood off to have a new clear panel & a couple of tears repaired, but I have a good trimmer locally who can do that. I think the tension straps are secured under the beading at the back...that is where they disappear, and I have to look at the head rail to see how that comes off the hood frame so I can take it all off. I can have a hood bag made by taking some measurements, and use some straps to clench the hood frame before making up something more suitable. All interesting stuff!
D
If my hood cover on my APD is similar, you are welcome to measure it. I am not so far from you - Upton upon Severn.

Scroll down my web page. 

http://www.mothy.co.uk/austinAPD.htm

If my hood cover on my APD is similar, you are welcome to measure it. I am not so far from you - Upton upon Severn.

Scroll down my web page. 

http://www.mothy.co.uk/austinAPD.htm
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Thanks very much...see my PM
David