The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Radiator construction
Can anyone confirm if the early seven radiators were made using the tube honeycomb method as in the picture below or were they always film type radiator cores

.jpg   Honeycomb_radiator_tubes.jpg (Size: 21.76 KB / Downloads: 647)

Thanks
Marcus
Does this help? A crop from a period photo of an early-1928 car (chassis 62675):

.jpg   red8923-139 (2).jpg (Size: 198.1 KB / Downloads: 548)
I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' - but when they switched is quite another question.
I've a honeycomb pattern core on my AE (1930) Chummy. It has an old rad that we bought 'as is', in a chrome 1930 style cowl and the core was very rusty being steel. However it doesnt leak.

I'm told other than the early ones, and a short period in 1930, the Serck A pattern core was used exclusivley.
Recent conversations indicate that there are still people who will make a new honeycomb rad, within thirty miles of me there are two. Howver, to afford one I'd have to sell the wife's Saab, or even worse my 2CV.
http://archive.a7ca.org/collections/films/

Go to " When the Solder Sets " to see the complete manufacturing process of a Seven radiator core.
As far as I know the Seven radiators were always a film type, although the early ones had a honeycomb appearance as shown in Mike's photo. My 1925 Chummy has this type as well.
My 1928 tractor, ex Ray Walker and originally an R type saloon, still has its honeycomb core as does my chummy (1925). I think they changed to the A film type in 1928/9.

Gerry Marshall at Anglia Radiators in Cambridge now has the tooling to make honeycomb and A film cores in house. He has restored several radiators for me over the years and his work is excellent.
(06-10-2020, 11:28 AM)Lance Sheldrick Wrote: My 1928 tractor, ex Ray Walker and originally an R type saloon, still has its honeycomb core as does my chummy (1925). I think they changed to the A film type in 1928/9.

I think this is correct as well.
Thanks Mike,

That certainly looks like a tube radiator. The Rinsey Mills book says that early car had tube radiators but doesn't give any information on when they changed to film radiators

Thanks Hedd,

I've never heard of a radiator core made of steel but if you have one then they must exist.

I can imagine that rust would be a problem especially as tubes used in radiators need to be very thin which is why I  have only seen brass or copper cores. The other issue with steel might be it's thermal conductivity.

Thanks Chris,

I was given a copy of this film over 20 years ago and it certainly is fascinating to watch, however, they are making film radiators rather than cartridge tube radiators and I assume it is a later production maybe in the 1930s.

I've been told that in the early years of the Seven, Austin used to have radiators made externally but started manufacture in-house at the end of the 1920s or early 1930s

(06-10-2020, 11:28 AM)Lance Sheldrick Wrote: My 1928 tractor, ex Ray Walker and originally an R type saloon, still has its honeycomb core as does my chummy (1925). I think they changed to the A film type in 1928/9.

Gerry Marshall at Anglia Radiators in Cambridge now has the tooling to make honeycomb and A film cores in house. He has restored several radiators for me over the years and his work is excellent.
Thanks Lance,

Could I ask a favour and get you to measure the inside diameter of the round portion of the tube as well as the dimension across the flats of the Hexagon please.