The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17" Ruby tyres
I've fitted the same Longstone tyrres to my Ruby 2yrs ago. The car lives outdoors in all weathers (apart from some of the winter where it goes under a cover). I've covered about 5,000mls on them and they're probably about 1/3rd worn with no signs of cracking at all. The handling is woeful, but I've put this down to a combination of 1920s chassis/suspension design and crossply tyres.....

In contrast I have a 3 year old Cayman owned from new that started showing tyre cracking on the outer shoulders at 6months; now at 3yrs they're in a real state and about to be replaced even though they're only half worn - and these are Pirelli Pzeros, so an extremely reputable brand and ~£220/tyre to replace. An argument with the dealer has never been had as I don't think it's one I would ever win....
One thing worth remembering is that under Consumer Rights Act 2015 thing must last a 'reasonable amount of time'.

This changed things dramatically in that suppliers cannot hide behind warranties.

We had an electronic key fail on our C3 after 5 years (we bought it new) and were quoted £200 plus half a day to re-programme etc, for a new one by Citroen. I went in armed with my arguments that it is not reasonable for a key to a car which would have a 10-20 year plus lifespan to fail after 5 years. It was not a consumable item like brake pads. It was not reasonable to expect it to fail after 5 years and I could show that it had not been abused. How was I supposed to get into the car?

After a half hearted argument from them that it 'was out of warranty and wear and tear' and then a formal letter from me quoting legislation and stating that I would take them to small claims court they quickly quickly folded and replaced it free.

You have really strong rights as a consumer for goods and services and we should all use them, as it will drive up quality. Most suppliers will understand and support their goods but the first person you speak to is usually about 12 and knows nothing other than 'its out of warranty', which fobs off the first 50% of callers. Know your rights and push for them, no-one else will.

Having said all of that. with a couple of negatives flowing around about suppliers, I think we all agree that our Cherished suppliers are the best and I have has nothing but superb advice (David C once talked me out of buying some bits from him as a bad upgrade idea Smile ), support and supply from all those I have bought spares and reconditioned parts from in the A7 world.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I've been consciously keeping out of several supplier-slamming threads going around at present Andy but I must pick up on your last point. 

For sure some among us need to think quite a bit harder about their customer service; and I'd be the first to concede that some of the repro / replacement parts I've had over the years have been unfit for purpose or at least needed some fettling. Those things quite rightly need to be addressed, each on its own merits.

Never forget though that we are running cars which are darn near 100 years old, and in many cases we get better service than people trying to maintain their 2019 models. The majority of key components are these days reliable and available new or used off the shelf at pretty reasonable prices - in fact we've never had it so good!

This is thanks largely to the efforts of individuals scribbling on fag packets in their spare bedrooms and creating things in sheds. Without the resources of corporations they don't always get it right, but let's be deeply grateful for what they do... If any one of them chooses to call it a day we will all feel the loss.
Hear hear Chris.

I’ve also been a bit uneasy about the spate of “axe grinding” threads.  I don’t know why but I am not sure this forum is the right platform, no matter how justified the the poster is in the complaint.  Having said that I don’t know how else we can be made aware of poor service and products.

And a big thank you to those cherished suppliers, non of whom, I suggest, make vast profits at our expense but are fellow enthusiasts who sometimes get things wrong.

Cheers

Howard
I have just had my Jag XF in for it's first MOT at 3 years All 4 Goodyear tyres although still with 3MM of tread were severely cracked across the treads and advised to be changed. The car has only done 21,000. At the tyre supplier they said they do not know why but across the tyre range of suppliers they are seeing a lot of cracking after 3 to 4 years.

I wonder if the rubber formula has changed.
Assuming normal usage and proper inflation, first thing to suspect is contamination with aggressive substances - petrol, brake fluid, etc. Second would be a compounding issue - e.g. ozone stabilisers in the rubber.
Is your Cayman out of warranty, I definitely would be looking for a contribution
(06-10-2020, 08:44 AM)fatcatvera Wrote: In contrast I have a 3 year old Cayman 

Am I the only one to have no idea what a Cayman is? A bit of googleing and I find the Porsche Cayman!
Or as Jeremy Clarkson reviewed it, a Porsche Gayman! Also I rather liked his Toyota Pious!
I think there must be a rubber virus going around. I bought some rubber bellows for a Land Rover prop shaft which after one year have fallen apart without them ever having rotated. The rubber turned into crumbs. Also brand new rubber engie mountings for the Land Rover which are rapidly collapsing.