The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SU Carb to Ruby Inlet adaptor
Having just acquired a 800cc Morris SU carb, I now need an adaptor to turn the bolt pattern from horizontal to vertical. 
Suppliers and pics please, thanks in advance.
Don't know of any "off the peg" suppliers for these, but it wouldn't be to difficult to make up your own with a bit of time and some basic workshop tools.

Here's one I made for my AG tourer. It was a piece of Ally plate about 5/16" thick (ebay would have this) You can make the big hole in the centre using a holesaw in a power drill. drill the two mounting holes to match the pitch of the manifold's holes, then countersink them and use countersunk Hexagon socket screws (Allen screws) to bolt up to the manifold; these will then come up below the adapter's surface. Once you've drilled clearance holes for the carb and trimmed the edges of the plate with a file and hacksaw, you'll be good to go.

[Image: 29054137208_444fe4835c_z.jpg]

As you can see, this setup uses a semi DD SU carb which came off a split screen Minor. I just cut out the centre section of the Ruby inlet and rotated  it before rejoining the bits together using a Manganese Bronze brazing rod.
Hi

Some folks in the past have advised that the restricted section immediately at the entrance to the Ruby manifold can be opened out, to give better airflow and take full advantage of the SU.
Hi Flywheel

Does your carb have a vertical float or 30 degree float?  In both cases I think Tony Betts sells these.

If the float is vertical .... I modified the adapter I bought from Tony (some years back now) to take countersunk screws rather than headed bolts.  It left more flat area for the gasket and flange to sit on.

Cheers

Howard
I belive Stuart Palmer makes these.
Cheers guys, I'll contact TB, as I don't want to mod the Ruby manifold, But modding a alloy plate is no probs.
ps; it's a 30 degree float bowl.
Like many others I slavishly followed the Williams specials book and filed out the transiton in the manifold, but as the hole is no smaller than the manifold a mistake I susupect. Incidentally a home made manifold same shape but a good 1 inch id on my RP made no difference although did not experiemnt with needle.
I suppose horizontal carbs are getting scarce but they do look more 1930s and a simple adapter plate with countersunk screws serves for the mounting.
I believe that Ian at Oxfordshire Sevens does these adaptors. oxfordshiresevens.co.uk

Regards,

Jamie.
(05-10-2020, 06:05 PM)flywheel1935 Wrote: Having just acquired a 800cc Morris SU carb, I now need an adaptor to turn the bolt pattern from horizontal to vertical. 
Suppliers and pics please, thanks in advance.

I cannot find this listed with any UK supplier (probably me!) but here we list (and have for many years) an 'Adapter with O rings SU Carby'

This readily converts the attachment as you describe.
Hi,
A friend of mine who has a lovely RP saloon had one made by, I think, Ian Bancroft. It was a piece of precision work and took no time at all to fit to his car. The SU, High Compression head and, above all else, returning to a Lucas distributor from the Bosch one which came with the car, transformed its performance.
Best wishes,
Nick