The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back seat upholstery
Thumbs Up 
Hi, I posted a while ago as I’m helping a friend do up his Austin Ruby. I completed the two front seats with help from this forum. I’m hoping for some advice in the back seat. There’s a wooden section for the back of the back seat. It’s got springs currently. Not sure whether to leave these or replace with foam. Seems a bit lumpy but guessing they’re the original. I was planning on making a piece of vinyl with channels to fit this. Not sure how you attach cover to the frame though; just stretch it round and staple from the back? There’s also two lower “wings” (see photo) which I’m not sure what they are for. Any advice appreciated!
.jpeg   E95C445F-0C48-436F-A35C-3DB8E9D6893E.jpeg (Size: 81.39 KB / Downloads: 328)
.jpeg   A49A5E45-A2C3-419F-A03F-66F454F71716.jpeg (Size: 91.07 KB / Downloads: 328) Regards, Tony
I kept the springs on my RP saloon and covered them with a wool type wadding which I bought in a roll.i padded out the various sections with it to form the correct shape.The cover is then sewn up with an overhang all around so you can staple it at the back.This back seat Cover does need a full width of vinyl to make it up and it’s quite a lot of material to have in your machine ,I started in the middle and worked my way out to the edge when forming the pleats.
You have a good start the timber looks to be good. The legs protrude through the cover and are for standing the seat on the floor. The wings remain under the cover and are to fill out the corners which would collapse under the tension of cover fitting. I would keep the springs if not pitted, for a superior 'feel' when seated. I would replace the hessian as it is probably brittle after so many years. All your clues are in the old cover, note that a plain unpleated section at the bottom will make stapling on easier and it is sometimes holed below the visible to enable the cushion to breathe when sat upon.
Hi, thank you. I’ve not got the original cover to copy but now know how to start. I’ll keep the original springs and repost when I get stuck. Cheers, Tony