The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - October 2020
Yes Mike, I think you might be right there. I was thinking that a pre war scene ought to have a larger proportion of cars from the early '30s. Maybe Sheffield folk were more affluent than I gave them credit for and could all afford to buy the latest models!
(02-10-2020, 01:02 PM)Mick Hobda Wrote: Tony, Sheffield city centre's streets were lined with parking meters from about 1965 but there was no charge to park after 6pm.
Thanks Mick. It must have been evenings then - I remember going to the ZingVa (?) one evening on the Moor with John Ward and a crowd. Great fun, especially when the chef, clutching a meat cleaver, chased a chap out of the kitchen.
The sandwich board says "the End is Nigh. Parking Meters are Coming". or "Pedestrians Have Rights Too" or, judging from the clothing "Bring On Climate Change"

What is car in left foreground?
The Zing Va Chinese restaurant, just downhill from Redgates corner was one if the first in Sheffield. It was owned by Edward Yun from Hong Kong who used to sit at the bottom of the stairs like a Buddha in an evening suit ( the restaurant was in the basement) to welcome his customers. He was the spitting image of George Formby in his later years and even had his accent.
I can remember still his big grin, and him saying " Hello, are ye all right, can I tek yer coat?"
(03-10-2020, 08:10 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: The Zing Va Chinese restaurant, just downhill from Redgates corner...
Redgates, the toy shop of fond memory.
To answer my own question, I do not know medium cars of the early 30s well. I grew up in a small town with a limited selection. Troublesome Brit cars and American cars of the mid 20s, many tourers, vanished early or were trucked. But from 1928 many rugged Americans soldiered on to the 60s. During the Depression farmers still in the money bought sturdy Americans whereas few medium British cars were sold. One book illustrates a 1933 Standard Little 9 with sloping windscreen, central handles, and chrome lamps, which possibly fits the photo..