The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Practical Classics are about to restore another Ruby
Found on Facebook today ..........

.png   Screenshot 2020-09-29 at 14.51.07.png (Size: 858.36 KB / Downloads: 557)
I think the plan is a special. There was a mention of his dad who did film prop design being involved with the new body.
On the news stand now. My copy came in a bag with a reproduction of the John Haynes A7 booklet which I think he did when still at school.
From recent issues he has said that the body is shot and his intention is a special. He spent a lot of time justifying the scrapping of the body about 6 months ago.
The Haynes manual is very interesting. My understanding is that it was effectively Haynes Manual number 1. Having been asked to write about building a special he sold out then ultimately moved on to the manuals we all know and love.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
My very clean copy of John Haynes 'Building a '750' Special' is a revised third edition with a card cover and dated April 1958, given to me some years ago by a good friend.

Apparently the first edition was written when John was at school and the original cover noted:

"Written and drawn by an an impecunious enthusiast"

I wonder if they got approval to reproduce the Haynes Manual Big Grin
Some of the original Haynes books were very simple. Later ones very good until thay resorted to mostly photos.
I hope ithe build does not trigger a bout of destruction of saloons. Many accustommed to moderns must be very dismayed at the final product. Cars which could provide practical quircky fun are sacrificed for a special of limited application and soon unwanted.
The crank crack testing and how they line up the centre bearing will be interesting.... but as usual the engine will go off somewhere and reappear all reconditoned, possibly resleeved. Wouldn't it be so much more interesting if they sorted through boxes of old bits and managed to make a good motor for next to no expenditure in the old time Seven tradition?
Incidentally, did anyone ever follow up on the London? car trapped behind a building and which featured here?
Tony: I think they are working with Haynes as they are also offering a discount on his autobiography.
I do agree that I hope it doesn't start a run of special building but I think the practical Classic readership is relatively grown up and not faddish.
Also in fairness Bob this won't be the first 7 in the current Practical Classic fleet. The other is a 'rat look' Ruby which they used to produce a 7 episode engine rebuild by Ian Bancroft, which was then made into a quite detailed 'bookazine' a couple of years ago. It was then on display at the Practical Classic show when I had a long chat with the team there.
I have used the bookazine in my uneducated state of working on the engine and found it an encouraging and confidence giving read.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!