The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KING PIN THRUST WASHERS
Dennis,

I've just emailed you at your nippy address.

Jeff.
(30-11-2017, 05:16 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: I have done the kingpins on a few Big Seven axles in the past, and was always lucky enough  to pick up period  -Thompson, Brivec  etc. manufacture  kingpin sets to do the work. These did include a bronze thrust washer as well as the hardened steel washer in the package. However, the Bronze thrust washer was never anywhere near thick enough; I assumed that this was due to the recess below the axle eye having worn deeper over the years.

Rather than put a stack of washers in there, I just turned up a pair of thicker thrust washers on the lathe. I used Colphos (a type of Phoshor Bronze) for these, because that's what I had in the workshop at the time. AFAIK they're still working OK, I think almost any bearing material would work there; but I wouldn't be happy to use Oilite (Sintered Bronze) as it is really brittle.
Thanks Stuart.
I wish I had your knowledge and ability to turn things up on the lathe.  Because of my "bit worn" Atlas lathe and my lack of how to really work it (turning speeds, tool shape etc.) I limit myself to turning things that are not critical for size  Sad 

Dennis

Thanks Stuart.
Would phosphor bronze thrusts wear the axle faces or would they just wear out themselves?

Dennis.
(30-11-2017, 06:23 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Would phosphor bronze thrusts wear the axle faces or would they just wear out themselves?

Dennis.

Can't give a definitive answer on that. The special in my avatar has had a Big 7 front axle with these thrust washers for the last 20 years or so, there doesn't seem to be any more endfloat of the stub axle than when I put it together -I do regularly grease the kingpins though.

I think that most of the exceptional heavy wear on bits of our cars will have occurred during the long period of them being just unloved "old bangers" which only received maintenance when something fell off; especially so in the years immediately before the MOT test was introduced.
(01-12-2017, 01:23 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(30-11-2017, 06:23 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Would phosphor bronze thrusts wear the axle faces or would they just wear out themselves?

Dennis.

Can't give a definitive answer on that. The special in my avatar has had a Big 7 front axle with these thrust washers for the last 20 years or so, there doesn't seem to be any more endfloat of the stub axle than when I put it together -I do regularly grease the kingpins though.

I think that most of the exceptional heavy wear on bits of our cars will have occurred during the long period of them being just unloved "old bangers" which only received maintenance when something fell off; especially so in the years immediately before the MOT test was introduced.

Thanks Stuart.  Looks like phosphor bronze to use.  Just got to find a 1 1/6  (7mm) cutter to clean up the recessed face under the end of the axle beam.  The one I had made to do the grinding is 1 1/4 in dia. - good for the 3 other faces.  Perhaps I will just pluck up courage and try and turn it down smaller
Dennis
[quote pid='4144' dateline='1512143218']

Thanks Stuart.  Looks like phosphor bronze to use.  Just got to find a 1 1/6  (7mm) cutter to clean up the recessed face under the end of the axle beam.  The one I had made to do the grinding is 1 1/4 in dia. - good for the 3 other faces.  Perhaps I will just pluck up courage and try and turn it down smaller
Dennis
[/quote]

Whoops should have read 1 1/16 inch (27mm) cutter.