The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering box & radius arm relocation.
The bracket for the steering box is made of 3mm steel and is bolted to both sides of the chassis rails with two 10mm bolts each side.  It is very sturdy, more so than the standard mounting.  By having an angled top to the bracket, you can reduce the angle of the steering column very simply, assuming you are using the normal worm and wheel steering box.  I have managed to get the steering wheel in a very comfortable position and I can actually get into the car with it in place, something that is not always possible with tight single seaters.  
I am striving to finish my project whilst I can still get in it!  
Pedals are always a tricky issue on specials and need sorting out fairly early on in the build if you are to avoid grief later on.   I have kept the engine in its standard place but the seating position is as far back as it could be, the seat back is almost at the o/s axle tube.  I could see no reason in wanting even more weight at the back end, I haven't checked but I would imagine that the front/rear weight distribution with the driver will be about 50/50.
The clutch and brake pedals are to be mounted on another bracket bolted to the chassis rail immediately behind the steering box bracket.
The clutch pedal will be linked to the pedal on the gearbox by a simple rod with forked ends as Mrs Jo-Jo has.  I have ended up making a new brake pedal that will be under the steering column, this will give me some more room for the throttle pedal.  The standard Austin 7 brake pedal arrangement isn't ideal in my opinion, mine will be much more robust, having two pivot points about 3" apart.
Having pondered the throttle pedal, I have made a simple bracket (another) that is clamped to the steering column with an exhaust clamp. The beauty of this is that it is very easy to move the pivot point of the pedal fore and aft, hopefully I will be able to get a decent pedal position.
I will go to the garage and get some photos.

Here is a photo I have just taken of the steering box and pedal arrangement on my project.   This is work in progress.  The clutch and brake pedals are mounted on a standard Austin 7 clutch pedal shaft.   I have left this its full length at the moment, it will be shortened once I am satisfied that I don't need the extra bit to pivot the throttle pedal on!
The bracket for the throttle pedal clamped to the steering column is the mark one version.  I haven't decided how to connect it up to the carburettor yet, it will probably use a rod linkage to a throttle shaft on the removable firewall, as yet still a plywood mock-up.  I don't fancy a throttle cable, my experience of them is not good.
The brake pedal is off the car awaiting welding but it pivots on the clutch pedal shaft either side of the large bushed bearing.
Hope this helps.

Photo that didn't attach itself to my post!

A couple of photos of the project with the main bodywork temporarily back in place.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Stuart
Nice work! Your stuff has been on my favorites for some time now but I’m only just getting round to putting the Big & axle on my 1935 special. So, if I could I’d like to pick your brains: what camber do you have on the front spring and what is the distance, center to center of the shackles.
Yours in hope
Steve
(08-04-2022, 01:53 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: What's the enormous heat sink for on the extreme left?

(16-04-2022, 01:54 PM)Dowlandfan Wrote: Hi Stuart
Nice work! Your stuff has been on my favorites for some time now but I’m only just getting round to putting the Big & axle on my 1935 special. So, if I could I’d like to pick your brains: what camber do you have on the front spring and what is the distance, center to center of the shackles.
Yours in hope
Steve

Steve, you have a PM.