The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RK saloon bonnet
Bit the bullet to repaint the bonnet. Is it really only held in place by the centre bolt? (and the side clips of course)
If so any particular arrangement of washers - spring, penny? and nuts to hold it down? The handles on mine are each held on by 4x3BA round head slotted screws with locknuts. Slotted raised countersunk might be better (but I haven't got any of them to hand!)
Hi David

That is how mine is held on.  I’ve replaced the nut with a wing nut ( well I soldered a length of flattened copper tube across the top of a brass nut which serves as a wing nut).  I’ve been surprised that it hasn’t shaken loose despite not having a spring washer under it.

I’ve use 5mm raised head slotted screws on the handles. Probably not for the purist  Smile.

Cheers

Howard
David.H Wrote:Bit the bullet to repaint the bonnet. Is it really only held in place by the centre bolt? (and the side clips of course)
If so any particular arrangement of washers - spring, penny? and nuts to hold it down? The handles on mine are each held on by 4x3BA round head slotted screws with locknuts. Slotted raised countersunk might be better (but I haven't got any of them to hand!)

Yep, that's the location/fixing for all the early bonnets. I haven't established what the original method of spacing was, I have a small rectangular piece of steel with the edges bent over on one of my cars, maybe original? Fits over the channel section. The chummy has a brass spacer that I made up. All my cars now have wing nuts to allow the bonnet to be removed quickly - I think that much at least is original.

Regarding the handles, these were originally rivetted to the bonnet but if they are screwed, it usually indicates that the car has been resprayed by someone who took great care, possibly in the deep past, as it's very difficult to get a good finish when painting the bonnet sides with the handles in place.
Thanks for that info. I have a suitable wing nut in by box of useful stuff! What are the spacers you refer to? I imagine to adjust the height of the bonnet. None of my cars have any! Perhaps that is why bonnet fit can be a bit suspect.....
D
The rail that runs from scuttle to rad shell should be an upturned "U" shape, so a spacer is needed to stop the centre bolt in the hinge from being dragged to the bottom of the "U" when the nut is tightened. Would be easier with a pic but I'm not at home right now!
Hi

Not sure if this original but this is what I have.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   C28854D8-D17F-4D10-89F2-3AA559D9ABB0.jpeg (Size: 127.39 KB / Downloads: 304)
Howard I arrange an additional fibre washer to seal the hole as well. Prevents rusty spark plugs.
AHA! I see it all now....or some of it!
My U channel is inverted, so the bonnet was resting on a large brass nut acting as a spacer and retained (sort of) by a fiddly nut and washer in the channel.
As the bonnet is stripped of paint and so is easy to adjust I will give it a try today.Thanks!
Must check the AG.......
Cheers Squeak

Will do the same

Howard
Only one problem....the thread on the hold down is cream crackered for the essential last half inch.....that is why the channel was upside down perhaps. I may have to die it down to 3/16.....not a good solution.
While the bonnet is off, how do you get the hold down bit off the centre hinge? I have not disassembled that bit, although the sides are separated I imagine the pin drives out and the bits fall apart....?